Saturday 16 April 2022

When it's time for Time Out

Writers find it difficult to switch off from their latest novel sometimes. They are either thinking up new stories, thinking about how to write them, thinking about their first/second/ gazillion(th) draft, thinking about edits, thinking about manuscript submissions, thinking about their failings, thinking about their successes, thinking about promotion, thinking about the next story.... well you get the picture. So it is always a good idea to cleanse the brain and do something completely different.

I joined InTune Choir just before lockdown and, despite covid restrictions, I am still a member! Research shows that singing can relieve stress, boost the immune system and may improve snoring and lung function. It is also believed to improve memory, mental health and develop social connection. All these benefits help make it the perfect hobby to not think about writing. The video below is the InTune Choir at the Minack Theatre in 2016. I am delighted to say that we will be appearing at the Minack Theatre again on 7th May, 2022. Money raised will go to the Cornwall Air Ambulance.


So let's see what hobbies or guilty pleasures other writers have to take their minds off story telling. First up is award winning short story and flash fiction writer, Rae Cowie.

"Remember when most folks bought an actual daily newspaper, with pages that rustle? Then 24-hour rolling news stations popped up and articles became available for free online – and newspaper sales slumped. But, for me, nothing beats sitting with a cup of tea, flicking through the daily news.

Here in north-east Scotland, we have the Press and Journal (also known as the P & J), which is full of local and human-interest stories, perfect when I’m stuck for inspiration. I rip out articles and headlines that grab my attention and stick them in a ring binder, waiting for the day when I’ll riffle through them and invariably notice themes – protection of wildcats, plastic in the ocean, foodie stories etc.

But I’m not the only fan of the P & J, it is also enjoyed by royalty, delivered to Balmoral Castle when the Queen arrives for her summer break."

Press and Journal logo

Mairibeth MacMillan, author of the Brothers of Thunder, an historical Viking romance series, prefers her 'time out' to be outdoors.

"During the last few years, I’ve taken up wild-swimming. Now that I have the basic gear, it’s essentially free as I live near a sea-loch and can simply wander down to the beach. The water is baltic (as we say here on the west coast of Scotland), I rarely swim unless covered neck-to-toe in black neoprene and the sun rarely shines, but swimming outdoors with no restrictions is both a physical and spiritual experience. For a while, all my cares and worries wash away and I feel that if I could just swim far enough, I’d reach another world!

Mairibeth at her local sea-loch

Jenni Keer, who has several successful commercial fiction novels under her belt, prefers to burn extra calories with friends to music.

"I’ve been attending a dance class for the last twelve years, which not only combats the writer’s bottom but is also is an invaluable headspace for me. (Sometimes it’s hard to switch off from your WIP when you’re an author.) We have a gold level formation disco team and I’ve achieved bronze in my freestyle solo. The ladies I dance with are some of my closest friends and biggest supporters."

Our dance class was  a guest Morris dancer!
Our dance class was 
recently visited by a Morris dancer!

John Jackson
, author of historical romances based on his ancestors, prefers indulging in something that embraces all the senses.

"For me, its food! That includes, of course, the activities that go WITH food; i.e. cooking, eating and drinking!

I do almost all the cooking at home now, and I cook a lot of food from all over Asia. Friday night is Thali night in our house. The objects on the thali could be anywhere from the Pacific through South East Asia to the Indian subcontinent and beyond. So many recipes, so little time!

Or, as Lionel Bart put it in Oliver! “Food, Glorious Food! There’s nothing quite like it!”"


It's been great fun learning about how my writing friends take their minds off writing. I hope it inspires you to take some time out to recharge your batteries and 'cleanse the mind'!  If you already have a method, do let us know in the comments, we would love to hear about it!






6 comments:

  1. Ahj, the famous P&J!!! The P&J is famous for its stories of "North-east Man".
    When the Titanic was sunk, the P&J (apocryphally) led with the headline "North-east Man in Iceberg Indident!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is brilliant, John! This is exactly why I love the P & J. The Saturday edition is my favourite because it includes the Your Life magazine, with book reviews and an author interview. : )

      Delete
    2. “Aberdeen Man Lost at Sea” is the version I know. I love the P&J!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely to see what others get up to in their down time. I can imagine the swimming is mentally very freeing, and good excerise. Being an author is very static.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I would love to give all your hobbies a try - singing, wild swimming, dancing, Asian cookery... What fantastic ways to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing and swimming are great ways to help fight 'writer's spread', an occupational hazard when one's work is (for the most part) sitting at a desk writing.

    ReplyDelete