Sunday 24 April 2022

How to Herd Cats (Or Attempts to Organise My Life)


Five kittens looking like they are all about to run away in five different directions

I often feel that my life is a chaotic mess. I rarely get one activity finished, before another one pulls my attention away from it and I end up with a very long to-do list that I can’t actually tick any items off because, although I have accomplished many tasks, I haven’t actually completed any of them in full. After messaging Rae the other day and finding she was having similar issues, and, working on the principle that sometimes we understand a process better when we try to teach it to others, I decided to share my current attempts at organising my writing life with you.

A messy bundle of colourful electrical wires
Getting organised feels to me like I’m trying to herd cats — there are lots of things independently wandering about and none of them ever stays where they are put. Most of my ‘cats’ are justifiable activities: I have a novel to finish editing, another one to write, regular short stories with deadlines to submit, a teaching job, housework, an elderly father in a care home, two children at home, a third child living ‘independently,’ and a husband who spends much of the year at sea — where he gets to focus on his job with no other distractions… Hmm.


The list goes on, as I’m sure it does for all of us. And while I am the sort of person who can easily leave the housework undone with few regrets, I also see other people managing to accomplish more than I do despite having just as many cats (if not more) in need of herding.

Cover of the book The Organised Writer by Anthony Johnston
Earlier this year, I bought a book called The Organised Writer by Anthony Johnston and read it cover to cover. Anyone familiar with my reading habits (apologies to Carol MacLean for reading Jeannie’s War entirely out of order) knows that this is, in itself, a rarity. While it contained many helpful suggestions, and I would recommend it, I’m well aware that my brain simply doesn’t function the way Johnston’s brain does and while I’m currently working on untangling the mess that constitutes my thought patterns until I do, I will have to compromise with some of his guidance. 

So, what I am doing? Well, I have developed a four-pronged approach. I thought of a rather sweary title for it but then decided to call it the Fork Handles Approach. This will hopefully light my way to a more organised writing life. (Note: this joke doesn’t work as well in written form.)

Four lit candles in diagonal line
Cover of To Do list. Gold on pink background saying I am very busy.

The Fork Handles Approach

The To Do List: Write every task that needs done on this. Every task. (And yes, I have been known to write a task I’ve already completed down just so that I can tick something off — but I think this is okay — the more ticks I see, the more likely I am to believe finishing things is possible.)

Front cover of academic year diary in pink/purple swirl pattern saying Monday Mojo
The Week to View Diary: Every item on the To Do list then needs to find a place in the Diary. This sits beside me at all times so that I can regularly check what I’m supposed to be doing. I then force myself to do that thing first. Before I do any thing else. (This may sound obvious but believe me, it is the most difficult stage in the process for me!) I then get the satisfaction of ticking it off, both on my To Do list and in my Diary, thereby making me feel twice as productive! 

Cover of project planner showing multiple post it notes attached to a wall in bright coloursThe Project Planner: While the To Do list/Diary combo works for most things, there were some troublesome items on my to do list, that just never seemed to leave — those bigger items that take more time, or that are actually the result of a series/combination of tasks. In order to deal with those I’ve started to use a Project Planner. I couldn’t find one that did exactly what I wanted it to do, so I used what I’ve learned from Canva and KDP and designed my own. (Some of you may recognise this as a procrastination technique, but it was fun and necessary and that’s the story I am sticking to!) I have actually sold a few copies of this and the new author name I picked for this project makes me smile. (This is also a bit sweary, so don’t click on the link in the comments if you’re easily offended.) Each bigger project gets its own page and can then be further broken down into smaller pieces. What I call Tiny Achievable Targets. I then still feel like I’ve accomplished something when I tick one of those off!

Picture of magnetic wipe clean habit tracker with orange pen. Lines for Words, exercise, tidying and studying filled in with varying degrees of success.
The Habit Tracker: I use this for all the never-ending items on my To Do list. Things like learn ten new vocabulary words every day, or exercise daily, or even — dare I say it — housework. How do you ever manage to tick those items off a To Do list successfully? I now have a wipe clean Habit Tracker right in front of me as I’m working each day. (I’m clearly still a work in progress when it comes to developing habits, but I am definitely improving.) 

Between all of these, I appear to be making some progress (my editor, if she’s reading this, will be rolling her eyes!) On the positive side, however, I have submitted competition entries more regularly this year, my writing is more consistent, and one day… someday… hopefully soon, I will finish The Viking's Princess Bride and publish it! 

Now, to learn how to focus on one writing project at a time. Wish me luck!

The Organised Writer

My Project Planner

Jeannie’s War

10 comments:

  1. Some links for anyone who is interested!

    The Organised Writer: https://amzn.to/3OruTL8

    Project Planner: https://amzn.to/37KMRro

    My To Do list and diary are both from The Works.

    Jeannie's War: https://amzn.to/3K9iZ5q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant!!!
    Also disorganized, and my novels are a complete bowl of dropped spaghetti until near the very end.
    Couldn't get links to work though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. WIll go and fix them!

      Delete
    2. Nope, Blogger has beaten me. The links work for me if I copy and paste them. But they are not clickable. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. I'll try adding them to the original post instead.

      Delete
  3. Off to check out these links, Mairibeth... In my twenties, I was VERY organised, but sometimes to the point I became stressed. Now I am not so organised and also have cats wandering (some may even be lost!), which stresses me too. So I've come to the conclusion that a happy medium is the best way forward - if only I could find it! Thanks for sharing your planning tips. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am organised in certain ways, then I forget what I'm supposed to be doing and it all falls apart...

      Delete
  4. Great post!! LOTS of useful links there.
    Definitly worth checking them out and seeing what use they are to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! One day I will be organised!

      Delete
  5. I am impressed by your list making, Mairibeth! Good luck with The Viking's Princess Bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely need a lot of luck to get it finished!

      Delete