Sunday 3 April 2022

DISCOVERING EKPHRASTIC FLASH FICTION...

Over the past year, I have been drawn to ekphrastic writing, creating flash fiction inspired by visual art. Poets have long enjoyed finding inspiration in other artforms, whilst novelists create ekphrastic work too; amongst the most famous are The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (original artist – Carel Fabritius) and Girl with The Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (original artist - Johannes Vermeer). 


Canada's famous Group of Seven...

CANADA’S FAMOUS GROUP OF SEVEN 


But my interest in ekphrastic writing was sparked when I stumbled across a beautiful coffee-table sized book of flash fiction created by Canadian writers, entitled The Group of Seven Reimagined

So, who were the original Group of Seven? 

A century ago, seven artists formed what was to become Canada’s most famous art group. They travelled the rugged landscape, on foot, on horseback, by canoe, capturing the country's wild beauty in a way that had never been done before. Find more information about the artists and their work here... The Group of Seven

But back to writing and The Group of Seven Reimagined, which is a vibrant flash fiction anthology, created by contemporary writers, each story inspired by one of the original paintings... I wanted to try something similar. 


A beautiful anthology inspired by Canadian artwork...


EKPHRASTIC WORKSHOP OFFERED ONLINE 


That’s when I spotted an online ekphrastic flash fiction workshop, focusing on animals, being run by top flash fiction writer, Meg Pokrass, as well as the founding editor of the Ekphrastic Review, Lorette C Luzajic. 

During the workshop we were given seven thought-provoking paintings from around the globe (a mix of classical and modern), along with interesting information about the artists and the inspiration behind their work. I produced four new flash pieces in four days, and received helpful feedback from Meg and Lorette, as well as the other participants. It felt great to try something new and learn more about art. Meg and Lorette’s next ekphrastic writing workshop begins on the 22nd April 2022... The Write of Spring. 


The Write of Spring - an ekphrastic flash workshop
(available online)


ART HISTORY 


With my interest in artists and artwork awakened, I signed up for a series of online art history workshops, taught by Kristine T G Hardeberg, focusing on Impressionism. 

Why the Impressionist period? 

Well, it was a time when many artists (authors, designers, painters, musicians) spent time in the cafés of Paris, as well as exploring the French countryside, and I feel that impressionism shares much with flash fiction. Both provide a slightly blurred snapshot in time which relies heavily on implication, requiring the reader/viewer to bring their experience to the artform. 

I’ve loved discovering more about artists such as Manet, Monet and Cassatt. About their lives, their loves, their muses, their struggles, their friendships. But, perhaps more importantly, I’m being introduced to new artwork that is planting seeds of story ideas for me to nurture and grow. 

For a flavour of Kristine’s workshops, head over to You Tube where she introduces art pioneer, Berthe Morisot and her moving piece, The Cradle





So, do you have a favourite artist or piece of artwork to share? Or has artwork inspired your creative life in some way? 

Until next time, happy reading (and writing)!

Rae x




7 comments:

  1. Wow. I've learned a new word. So interesting, Rae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenni, the first time I came across ekphrastic, I had to check the dictionary. : ) It sounds very 'grand'. I believe it is derived from Greek.

      Delete
  2. I love ekphrastic fiction and poetry, Rae. One of my prize winning stories at the SAW years ago was inspired by a painting. I also studied art history as part of my OU degree but could do with an update as I've probably forgotten much of it! Enjoy your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Rosemary - and congratulations on that prize winning story. I agree, there is just SO much to learn about art history, but I think the Impressionists is a good place to start. : )

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard this term for it before. Great post, Rae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. The term was new to me too. In honesty, I've always felt a bit intimated by art, but using pieces as writing inspiration has been a nice way in (allows me to interpret the artwork however I like!)

      Delete
  4. Good old Wikipedia!
    "The word ekphrasis, or ecphrasis, comes from the Greek for the written description of a work of art produced as a rhetorical exercise,[1] often used in the adjectival form ekphrastic. It is a vivid, often dramatic, verbal description of a visual work of art, either real or imagined. In ancient times, it referred to a description of any thing, person, or experience. The word comes from the Greek ἐκ ek and φράσις phrásis, 'out' and 'speak' respectively, and the verb ἐκφράζειν ekphrázein, 'to proclaim or call an inanimate object by name'."
    Its a wholenew world out there. Great article,Rae!!

    ReplyDelete