Saturday 27 November 2021

Road Trips for Writing Inspiration

 

I did some road tripping this autumn!



In September I made my first ever trip to Murrell’s Inlet, South Carolina. Perfect timing, as the summer crush was over,  the weather was warm, and the beach was stunning. This trip was actually a writing retreat, and although I didn’t force myself to be productive all day long, I did make some plans and work on the outline of the book that I’m going to start writing in January. Although the “getting there” was just what I needed (Don’t all writers need beach time?), this trip was all about the journey. I drove, by myself, and took my time stopping at historic cemeteries for a few photos. 




When I passed a field of sunflowers in bloom, I turned around and went back specifically to snap a few photos. The house where I stayed was right across the street from the beach, so early morning sunrises provided the perfect beginning to each day.



October found me in Natchez, Mississippi. Founded in 1716, Natchez has been on my bucket list since I relocated to the southern United States. Although the community that thrived when cotton was king has changed a bit, Natchez boasts a bounty of gorgeous antebellum homes, many of them converted to Inns and B&B’s. We stayed at The Guesthouse, an antebellum home built in 1840 with lovely rooms full of period appropriate furniture and lots of atmosphere. The Guesthouse also has its own ghost in residence, namely a young boy named Shannon, whose post-mortem painting hangs in the bar.  Shannon allegedly roams the halls, playing with his toys. Natchez is the home of many a ghost tour and is known for its historic cemetery, which is full of amazing stone and iron work. We wiled away the hours walking along through the various family monuments, conjuring up ghost stories of our own.  




And finally, the hubs and I travelled to Florida for a last trip to the beach. No cemeteries on this trip. Lots of beach time and the occasional mojito. A good time was had by all, as evidenced by the pictures. And, yes, that really is a baby alligator.


While my trips didn’t add to my word count, they definitely went a long way towards refilling my creative well. And as I sit here writing this blog entry, I can say with certainty that I’m itching to start writing. But I’m going to make myself wait until January, just to make sure I’m truly rested. Plus, there may be other road trips in my future!

How about you? Do you travel for inspiration?

 

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm..... Smell the magnolia blossom! Highly evocative stuff from Terry. Painting the picture.
    Its odd - some of the southern states finest homes are their famous Antebellum houses. Straight out of Gone with the Wind!

    Yet we would describe them as "Victorian" - and really many of them are quite new when comparing them with the slew of manor houses in the UK, etc.
    This doesnt detract from their beauty or style though.

    Trips like this can be the fount of a whole slew of stories!

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how wonderful it is to live somewhere with so many wonderful old manor houses and churches. I have a feeling when I come visit, I won't want to leave! But the burning question: Do you have mojitos?

      Delete
  2. Lovely post! I adore road trips. I'm on one now - although we're actually staying at the same campsite until after Christmas. Love being able to travel and yes it certainly inspires my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my friend, are the road trip queen! Will you get a Christmas tree for Gertie?

      Delete
  3. I loved, loved, loved reading this. I have a fondness for US authors and have read more than a few ... I think the vastness of the country comes over in their writing and it certainly did in this post for me. Travel broadens the mind and like education (in my humble opinion) is never wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved hearing of your travels, Terry. It sounds just the kind of trip that will inspire. Good luck with your novel writing in January.

    ReplyDelete