Sunday 7 November 2021

FLASH FICTION TUTORING

Something that constantly surprises me about writing are the unexpected turns that take your work in a whole new direction. As those who have read my last few blog posts will know, this year, for me, has been about shorter pieces. Mostly focusing on both learning about and writing flash fiction. I have even been lucky enough to have pieces published by the likes of the Bath Flash Fiction Award, Retreat West, Cranked Anvil Press, the Romantic Novelists’ Association magazine and Ellipsis Zine (to name a few). 

M:ADE 


So, I was delighted when M:ADE (Moray, Arts, Development, Engagement) asked if I would consider offering a series of flash fiction workshops, working with visual artist, Lynne Strachan of Curious Cranberry, as well as filmmaker, Jason Sinclair of Poppycock Films. The initial hope was that our workshops would be delivered now (in the autumn), but due to the pesky virus, we are now looking towards spring. 



DUKE OF EDINBURGH AWARD SCHEME 


However, that initial enquiry was quickly followed by a second, when a young student, interested in developing flash fiction writing as a skill for her Duke of Edinburgh award, asked if I could help. For those outside the United Kingdom, not familiar with the Duke of Edinburgh Award, it is a voluntary scheme for young adults, which helps them develop new interests and talents. 



COULD I TUTOR? 


As an enthusiastic believer in lifelong learning, of course I said ‘yes’ to both... Then the doubt set in. Did I know enough? Who did I think I was offering flash fiction workshops? What if what I offered wasn’t good enough? Or worse, boring! Could I make flash fiction writing fun? 

There was only one way to find out. I set about creating timetables, researching what should be included, remembering the focus of the M:ADE project, as well as the interests of my young Duke of Edinburgh student. The good news is that once I’d pulled material together, I had far more lesson plans than I needed.





A month on, and I love discovering new writers, sharing stories, focusing on writing craft with my Duke of Edinburgh student. Preparing the weekly sessions, hearing a young person’s creative ideas is inspiring. I’m learning loads too! 

WHAT'S NEXT?


So far, these sessions have all been in-person, but over the past couple of years, I’ve attended numerous online workshops and masterclasses. Who knows, maybe one day I will develop an online class too! 

There is still so much I need to explore about flash fiction – writing in different genre, attempting humorous pieces, how to create an anthology and, perhaps in time, write a novella-in-flash etc. It’s a form that encourages experimentation and pushes literary boundaries, meaning it is an exciting community to be a part of. 




That’s the beauty of a creative life, there are always new ways to stretch and grow. So, has your creativity taken you along an unexpected path? And if so, what did you learn? 

Happy creating!

Rae x

8 comments:

  1. I am in awe, Rae, with your dedication to writing, competitions and now workshops and mentoring. The world would be a better place if we all got into the habit of 'paying it forward' so to speak (i.e. the things we have learnt, giving someone a little help etc). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just lovely to see a young person want to write creatively, for fun. I'm sure I would find the experience far more stressful if there was an important exam at the end!

      Delete
  2. Of course you're qualified to tutor short fiction! You are doing brilliantly at the moment. Strike while the iron is hot and all that. And this post couldn't have been more timely because my writing group homework this week is 200 words on 'a day recently spent'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun, Linda - as well as a challenge! 200 is a tricky word count. Good luck! : )

      Delete
  3. I second Victoria Cornwall. And I'm so impressed with your ability to write flash fiction. I love to read it, but can't seem to write it. You'll be a great tutor, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I also thought I couldn't write flash fiction and was in awe of a writing group friend who created perfect little gems. But then we were all locked down, and I couldn't concentrate on a whole novel, so suddenly flash fiction fit the bill. All that really matters is that we keep writing!

      Delete
  4. Be sure an let us all know how the tutoring goes. I'm sure you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Terry. There is always laughter in our sessions, so I take that as a good sign! : )

      Delete