Saturday 14 November 2020

Book Trailers. Do you love them or loathe them?

Do you love them or loathe them? Whatever you think, a book trailer is another way for an author (or publisher) to inform a reader about their latest release. I must admit, a book trailer has never persuaded me to buy a book, but it might just persuade someone else so I thought I would give it a go and make one for each book in my Cornish Tales series.

I suspect there is a budding filmmaker somewhere deep inside me as I quite enjoyed the process, although I soon discovered that there was a very defined limit to my amateur skills. Many publishers do not create book trailers, so often it falls to the author to make one. I found myself in this situation, so before I entered this unchartered territory, I asked myself the following questions.

Do I make one in the first place?
This is a serious question to consider. A bad book trailer can turn people off, just as much as a good one can tempt someone to buy. Are you able to convey the essence of the book to film? This is not as easy as you might think. There are many software programmes available, with varying complexities. For the majority of my book trailers I used Windows photo editor (previously Movie Maker), as it is simple, which suited my limited skills.

How long should it be?
Short. People are busy and a long, slow, drawn out film will result in people switching it off. I think somewhere between one to two minutes is best, but certainly no longer.

How much text do I use?
In my opinion, the average book blurb contains too many words. A short film, which is too wordy, can turn people off too. It needs to be simple, but convey the emotional element of the story succinctly. The most important thing is to leave the reader with the teasing hint that there is more of the story to discover, because discovering twists and turns is part of the joy of reading a new book. Daniel's Daughter has a convoluted story with lots of twists and turns. The sub-characters are just as important as the main protagonists. So I decided to leave a lot of the detail out, keep it simple and hint at the complexity by using real review quotes to convey the story. Book trailers are always better with the sound on, so bear that in mind if you decide to look at the examples below. Please click on the book trailer picture to view.

Should I use music?
Absolutely! Music conveys the type of story far better than any picture or text can. For example, upbeat music conveys a light hearted read, whereas drama and emotional reads require something quite different.

Below are two very different book trailers, the first, The Daughter of River Valley, is for a tense and dramatic story, whereas the second, A Daughter's Christmas Wish, has a very different feel, one of sadness and hope. Just click on the picture to view each video and remember to turn on the sound.



What about copyright and royalties? Do I need to worry about these?
Yes! Music and images with copyright cannot be used without the express consent of the person who owns that copyright. Music may have royalty issues too. Thankfully, there are many images and a great selection of music that can be used, just check the source first before using it. The music I have used are royalty free as long as a attribution is given, which I have in the credits at the end. Some of the images also require attribution, while others do not. There is also nothing stopping you using your own photographs.

What sort of images do I use?
This is up to the author, but as a reader I would want to see something interesting and has something to do with the novel. It is very difficult to find historically accurate images, particularly of handsome men, unless you wish to spend a lot of money. Close up images are a good way to cheat. I had particular difficulty with Daughter of the House as I had to find suitable images for the hero and heroine as they grew up. This is a good example where music really helped to convey the story, so turn up the sound and enjoy and see if you can spot my tricks of getting over the thorny issue of historical fashion.


Images or moving pictures? Which is best?
That depends on the actor or the pictures! I used an actor in the The Thief's Daughter. She was very good, but I soon discovered that filming outside was far more difficult than I had anticipated. Weather, lighting and the general public were things I had not really considered. I also discovered that it is far more difficult to portray onto film what I had imagined in your head. Finding the right clothes was also an epic task! It was fun and although I was not happy with the wind, in the end I think it added life to the final edit. However, my later book trailers were made with images so I was able to control the weather and lighting!


What else should I think about?
I have met many authors during my writing career. Most are very modest people and so this is just a timely reminder to all those out there thinking about making book trailers... remember to add the following...

1) The name of your book and who wrote it! Yes, it is easy to forget this vital information!
2) An image of your book. I think its a good idea to add it at the beginning and then again at the end, just as a gentle reminder.
3) Links and information on where it can be bought.
4) Don't forget to add acknowledgments, attribution and the location where it was filmed.

Most of all, enjoy the experience. You never know, there might be a budding Hitchcock, Spielberg or, the largely forgotten but original trail blazer, director Alice Guy-Blake, lurking somewhere deep in your soul!

 So what did you think? Do you like book trailers or loathe them? I would love to know.

Victoria Cornwall

7 comments:

  1. Wow Victoria! Those look amazing. You could set up a business offering your skills to other authors. A brilliant post. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you, Rae, but I think I will pass on your suggestion. It takes far too much time! :)

      Delete
  2. Great information! I recently attempted to make one as part of a course and loved doing it although I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for sharing these tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping by, Mairibeth. The course sounds intriguing and I wish you all the best for it. :)

      Delete
  3. These are great! I paid someone to make a trailer of one of my books once, but haven't got the skills or patience to do one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kath. It is tempting to arrange for someone else to do it, as it does take time. :)

      Delete
  4. I love book trailers and have total respect for the way you can bring a story to life and intrigue potential readers with a short film.

    ReplyDelete