Saturday 31 October 2020

Off on a Plot Walk...





I’m just off out for a plot walk.”

Maybe as little as five years ago, I didn’t know what a plot walk was. Now it’s a Twitter hashtag, with its own variants (such as #plotsit) and one which is usually accompanied by gorgeous photographs. 


When I say I didn’t know what it was, I really mean I didn’t know that it had a name and that quite so many other writers do the same as I do when they’ve been staring at the screen for so long their eyes hurt and their story is at the I-need-this-to-happen-but-it’s-impossible stage. They slam the laptop shut, pull on coat and hat and scarf and wellies (because a real plot walk is not fair weather dependent) and head out. And somewhere in the wind and rain, among the sodden cats and battered daisies of the local front, the fallen leaves and left-over cans of Stella in the park, or the tell-tale explosion of pigeon feathers at the edge of the field, they will usually find inspiration. 


That’s when they post about it. I imagine many of them are like me and, when the soggy ramble ends in failure, they shrug, go home, have a cup of coffee, and get on with the washing up. 


In fact I’m more likely to try a plot cycle rather than a plot walk; although I’m gradually realising that plot cycles are less effective (and, in direct contradiction to what I’ve said above, much more dependent on fair weather). Because you’re travelling faster there’s always something else to think about. Is the road wide enough for that lorry to get past me? Oops, that horse looks a little skittish — better give it a wide berth. Watch that pothole. And oh my god, is that a hare?


What a plot cycle often does, however, is produce a story prompt. There’s that abandoned shoe on the pavement, in all its morning-after abandonment. (Is that how Cinderella was written?) There’s the cyclist I was chasing up a hill to see how much of the distance I could make up and who just disappeared. (All right, turned off when out of sight, but that’s how plots are born.) There’s the abandoned child’s toy in the middle of a lonely road. (Yes, we know the child thew it out of the car window.) And there's that cat that knows everyone and seems to have no home.


Do plot walks work for you? Or do you have an alternative solution? I would love to know.  

13 comments:

  1. I've never consciously gone on a plot walk and am amazed there's a special site for same. But plots have come to me - and niggly, gnarled bits un-niggled and un-gnarled - while walking. I think it's the freeing of the mind from the housework that needs doing and the garden that needs weeding and the ironing pile waiting for my attention that makes it possible for the creative side of us to come to the fore. Well, that's my theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree.

      Although I've had a few moments of inspiration while weeding!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I used to run - and running was a great time to think through plots. I had to do something to take my mind off the pain, after all. Now my knees say No to running so it's walks for me. Cycling needs too much concentration - you can't let your mind wander to stay safe. Swimming's good, but the sea's too cold now and the restrictions mean the pool doesn't appeal at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree again! I'm not much of a walker though. I can't go far. But even a short walk helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two walks every day with Django. I often use the time to brainstorm a plot point with Richard and get his thoughts and also his technical advice re anything mechanical etc.
    Please give Brenda a round of applause - she's sorted out my problem with not being able to comment here - a rogue e-mail. Thanks again Brenda.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post. I am an avid walker and take #PlotWalks almost every day. It feels great to step away from the computer and get out in nature. A good walk never fails to energize. Happy walking, Jo and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a plot dog-walker! It definitely helps, especially if I tell them the story and in the telling understand where it's not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a real help to be able to think things through.

      Delete
  7. My plot walk inspiration tend to manifest in my when I am a passenger in a car. I spend most of the journey thinking through my WIP plot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is also true. Though these days I don't go very far in the car!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant post, Jo. I love walking but don't tend to think about plots, rather it's the energising experience of being out in nature that helps me settle back to writing when I return. (Love cycling too : ) )

    ReplyDelete