Saturday 28 November 2020

NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER ...... OR

... or do you? OK, so I know this doesn't mean, literally, judging books before we've read them but more a metaphor for not taking things at face value. I know a fabulous cover could be the gilding on a load of poo within or, conversely, a cover that's more bland than porridge could conceal a hidden gem. I'm old enough to remember when the banned (back then) LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER bred a rash of copies coming into school and being passed around under desks concealed in homemade brown paper covers. None of us was judging it by its cover, but all of us eager for the sex lesson that lay within. But now ... confession time. Call me fickle if you will but if a book cover doesn't attract me I rarely even bother to pick up that book or read the blurb. There are books with covers I would never consider picking up. Think - in my case - anything with lace and frills, ribbons and glitter, or fancy wrought ironwork in the background - but that's probably another blogpost. In my defence I cite that as humans we are attracted to other humans, to buildings and scenery, to animals and clothes, and cakes in pattiserie windows and a million other things by their looks. Why should it be any different for books? It's often said we eat with our eyes before a morsel of food touches our lips and for me choosing books is much the same - the cover design can transport me instantly into another world ... or not. So now to my own book covers. They've been ok. Just that - ok. Would I have picked up my own books off those tables just inside the door in Waterstones (remember when we could do that on a whim whenever we wanted to??)or off the shelf in W H Smith? Probably not. I do have a favourite though. SUMMER AT 23 THE STRAND. It wasn't in the least illustrative of the location I'd imagined or the chalet I'd described in detail but it does make me wonder who might be in the other houses and what's around the corner and could I blag a sail in that yacht. And I love the colours. Summery. Sunny times. And now - for us all - times that were more free. Thank goodness, then, for books and for the fact we are all different and enjoy different genres and different times and different places to visit in our minds - books on which we can be judge and jury, whether or not we like the covers.
LINDA MITCHELMORE

17 comments:

  1. Great post. Covers, I think, are used these days as a kind of shorthand to tell you what kind of book it is. This is especially important in the digital world. By the cover I know what books it's not worth me even reading the blurb, and which ones I'll stand a good chance of loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... but I worry that my cover can look very lightweight when the issues within are quite deep. All that said I am just so happy that book publishers have loved my work and have published me.

      Delete
  2. As an author, I understand how covers can have little to do with what's inside, however I still can't help myself allowing the cover to influence my choice. I am lucky, the covers of my Cornish Tales series are accurate as they show the heroine inside, (right down to her hair colour) which is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one influenced by covers. And you are lucky indeed to get the right hair colour on your covers ... one famous author I know filled almost six hundred pages with a red-headed heroine only for her to be blonde on the cover. Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do find an interesting/pretty cover attractive but it's more about the blurb, and possibly reader reviews, for me. Christmas at Strand House looks very crisp and festive, Linda. I like your covers but understand your concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you say it's more about the blurb for you .... I almost never read it. Just the first page and a quick flick through to see if the writing grips me. But thank goodness we are all different.

      Delete
  5. "homemade brown paper covers"? I remember them well. We used to put brown paper covers on ALL our school books!! Handy disguise for Lady Chat too.

    Of course we are ALL shallow enough to judge (initially) a book bt the cover. That's why so many books on sale in the supermarket have really similar covers! Xmas themes at the moment. Snow and Christmas Trees.

    In the summer it will be a beach scene, yellow and blue, with enigmatic blonde looking wistfully over her shoulder.

    That's what works! And we aren't talking about the words at all - we are only talking about marketing here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, of course, John - it is about marketing and publishers do tend to know what sells, although they can be wrong sometimes. Just take the royalties and run, then? :)

      Delete
  6. I buy books for several reasons - a good cover being one of them. First of all, if I'm a fan of a particular author (yes, you, Linda!) then I'll buy a new release because I know it will be good. The reviews are important, as all authors know, but,ultimately, they are only one person's opinion.I will buy as many debut novels as possible, and those by people I respect, like Times columnist Melanie Reid, who is tetraplegic. I love buying books for my two granddaughters and for any other children I know, as books were such an important part of my own childhood.One thing the pandemic can't take away from us is the written word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this is a really lovely response, Guernsey Girl. And interesting too. I buy books by my writing chums whether or not they are in a genre I enjoy ... always make good presents, books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With digital publishing and an huge bunch of books to choose from, covers are so important these days! And true confession: I do judge books by their covers, but I always read the blurb and the first page or two to see if it's something I'm interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew! Glad I'm not the only one who falls for the cover before anything else. Great minds think alike although I leap from your first to your third criteria.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The covers are designed not only to attract us, but also to tell us something about the genre and content of the book, so I don't see anything wrong with using that as a starting point when making a selection.

    To me it's just the next stage from going to the appropriate shelf. We wouldn't consider every single horror book in the shop if we were after something funny to read, would we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a most excellent take on it, Patsy ... I feel better about it now.

      Delete
  11. Great post. I do judge by the cover, but when I see a particularly bad cover I always read the blurb...so I guess it did its job of attracting a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Andie. The only time I bypass a cover and go to the blurb is when a book is recommended and I feel I ought to read it. Or it's by a friend and I want to. Good to see you pop up here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooops, I thought I'd replied to this but it seems to have vanished in the ether. I commented that the only time I bypass the cover and read the blurb is if a book has been recommended and I feel I ought to read it. Or it's by a friend and I want to.

    ReplyDelete