Saturday 8 August 2020

TO PLAN - or NOT TO PLAN?

 

The question heading this blog is on my mind today. I have a short deadline to write my next book which is due with my editor by the end of November, just over 3 months away. I always like to leave a couple of weeks if I can, for the story to hide in a drawer before I start to do a final edit. I edit a lot as I write so my first draft isn’t as ‘dirty’ as it might be. But, and it is a big but, I’m definitely more of a pantster than a plotter when it comes to writing and time is short on this book. I’ve already changed my mind about the premise of the story several times but have now settled on my main character, the setting and the hook of the story. I know if I write at least 1300 words a day for the next sixty days I’ll have 78K by the middle of October leaving lots of time to edit, etc. 

But into this time frame comes the promo for my latest book A French Affair which was published on the 4th August. Also next week I expect to receive the copy edits for my January release, followed shortly afterwards by the proof edits. So I really, really need to get myself organised rather than just diving in.


As a pantster, I have the beginning of the book and also the inciting incident when I start but rarely know the end before the characters take me there. On those rare occasions when I have had the ending in my head it’s changed during the writing of the story. Rather than try and plan out this new book totally because I know it just wouldn’t work for me, I’m going to try and work five chapters ahead. This means I will make a note under the chapter heading about what needs to happen in it to drive the story forward. So, when I sit down to write I will know what I have to do in a particular chapter. I usually do this just before each chapter but hope this little bit of extra forward planning will help.


I'm also going to be more disciplined about writing everyday and getting those words down. I'm going to set up a plan on www,pacemaker.press to keep track of my daily word count.

I think the picture below sums up my days for the next few months!


Stay safe everyone and enjoy the rest of summer.


                                                             







7 comments:

  1. Sounds like the way I work - I write a couple of sentences about what needs to happen in each chapter before I begin writing. I allow it to change if it wants to. Good luck with your tight deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh that sounds like a short amount of time to write a novel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so productive! I'm a confirmed plotter. I would never finish anything if I didn't have a map to guide me. Funny how each of us has our own process. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, Jennie, I am a pantster. I have tried to plot and done a rough timeline but once the character gets in my head I become her. I have to let her have her head, as it were. I suppose I'll have to pray I don't get given tight deadlines! Good luck with yours ... you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting times, Jennie! Congratulations on the publication of A French Affair and good luck with hitting those deadlines. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plan as much as you think you need, but then be prepared to alter your plan!
    You ARE allowed to change your plans - after all, you just don't know what your pesky characters are going to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm somewhere between the two. I always begin with a detailed plan, but the finished version rarely resembles it!

    ReplyDelete