Saturday 22 August 2020

The Writer's Brain

 

I’ve been spending a lot of time in the writing cave lately, working on my eighth book, which is due to my publisher in October. As I plot and scheme and push my characters into sketchy situations, it occurred me that my process and the way I go about organizing my novel is segregated into left-brain/right-brain components.

According to the experts, the left part of our brain is responsible for thinking in words, sequencing, linear thinking, mathematics, facts, logic, reading, writing, and computation. Our right brains are responsible for feelings visualization, imagination, intuition, rhythm, holistic thinking, daydreaming (an essential quality for a writer), and nonverbal clues.



While I would immediately classify myself as a right-brain dominant person, there’s no doubt that writing a story (or a novel in my case) requires high functioning from both lobes of the brain. Since I’m a confirmed plotter, I spend the initial part of the process developing my characters, giving them enough flaws, misbeliefs, and insecurities to drive the conflict. After that, I map out a timeline of events (linear thinking) sequencing each dramatic scene with the appropriate content (mathematics) to form a cohesive plot and hit my word count.

Once that part of the process is finished, I have a written memorialization of everything that’s going to happen in my story. I know who goes where and who does what and when they do it. My left brain as provided me a story skeleton. If I’m lucky, the pieces are in the right place and cohesively connected. If not, no big deal as I can always fix things when I edit. Once that part of the process is complete, I let my right brain flow (imagination and daydreaming) and imbue my story skeleton with the literary equivalent of flesh and blood. Since I know what’s going to happen and – goddess willing – my plot problems were solved during my left brain work, I can focus on the feelings, rhythm, cadence and non-verbal clues in my story, all right-brain functions.

Writing this blog post has given me a new respect for the discovery writers, those who sit down at their desks and write beautiful prose without an outline, to wit, using both lobes of their brain contemporaneously. Dear discovery writers, I applaud you!

So while we creatives are often classified as right-brain dominant, I would argue that it’s all about balance. We need both sides of our brain in equal measure. Writing is truly a complete brain activity!

How about you? Are you left-brain or right-brain dominant?

Until next time.

Terry

7 comments:

  1. An interesting post, Terry. When I worked in banking, my mind was so taken up with work that although I continued to read, I just didn't have the brain space to write more than a short character outline. It wasn't until I took a maternity break that I felt able to reconnect with my creative side (the side of my brain I'd loved to flex as a child). So perhaps it isn't as black and white as being right or left dominant? Come to think of it, I need ALL brain cells firing when writing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think I am much like you - some left brain work to plan, and later on to edit, and in the middle a load of right brain work. I think the two parts of my brain are equally dominant and both like to get a say in things. When I've had long periods not being creative, I've ended up feeling itchy and longing to do something different. Now I spend more time being creative, I sometimes need to do killer sudokus or similar to allow the left brain to have a play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting. I confess I don't really get the left-brain-right-brain theory, but it certainly is true that you need a whole range of skills to write a novel. Imagination alone won't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post! Its amazing how the human body works, and I work in a similar way to you so this is even more interesting to read. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traditional publishing means publishing a book according to the contract. The publishing house offered contact with the author to publish his book. You can contact Grace Point Publishing for traditional publishing of your book. They will offer you the best contact to publish your book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are times during the writing process when I question whether - or not - I have a brain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, really enjoyed reading this post. It's all about balance - as ever!

    ReplyDelete