Saturday 15 August 2020

I AM A WRITER NOT AN ACTOR!

 

I love hearing what inspired other writers to write their novels, and I suspect I am not alone in this. Actually I know I am not alone! This month my backlist novels are all being published as audiobooks, and to celebrate this my publisher has asked me to film myself talking about the inspiration for each one. Just short clips of about a minute per book - 5 books to do - are needed, and my publisher will use them to promote the books.

May I just point out at this stage that I am a writer, not an actor. I can easily write a piece on what inspired each book - and many of the books have an author's note at the end telling the story behind the story. But to have to actually talk, like, articulate actual words out of my mouth without um, er, stumbling and st-stuttering and you know, er, hesitating and stuff... that's really hard.

As preparation for this filming, which as I write this I have not yet done, I wrote myself a couple of hundred words on each book to use as a prompt. Then I thought I'd make use of my son who has a First in Drama, who's been living with us since the pandemic struck, and ask him to be my audience while I rehearsed the pieces.

First bit of feedback is that it sounds awful when I simply read out what I've written. I tried again, without the notes, just talking off the top of my head, stutters and hesitation and all, and my son thought it far better. So that's what I am going to do.

It's my job for this afternoon to get these recorded and sent to the marketing department. Might need a couple of takes for each one! Better go and brush my hair and put some make-up on (what's that? Haven't used it in months) and then get on with it. Must remember to hold the paperback of each book too.

I will be glad when this is done!


Post-script, written a few hours after the above.

Oh My God that was a painful process. It seems I cannot speak AT ALL. Took about twenty attempts to get the piece for one book right, as I kept stumbling over the first sentence and then getting the giggles. My son is going to put together a blooper reel. I may have to wear a paper bag over my head for the rest of my days.

The video clip below is one of the many, many bloopers.



12 comments:

  1. Lovely to see your face and to know that I am not alone in finding it difficult to talk on camera! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baggy eyes and all. Son and I spent ages trying to get the lighting as flattering as possible.

      Delete
  2. Love this, Kath! It may have been difficult but it also sounds fun. And congratulations on publication of all those audiobooks. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm delighted that all my books will be available in all formats. Could only dream of this a few years back!

      Delete
  3. You have such a lovely speaking voice! Congrats on the release of all your audio books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fine!! It'll be alright on the night! LOL

    EVERYBODY sounds weird when they listen to their own voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I sound weird, but it was also the inability to say words in an order that makes any kind of sense!

      Delete
  5. I am an actor and a writer. With my actor's hat on, you look great and you sound natural. It's hard to be yourself on camera, but you do it well Kath. You sound intelligent and eloquent. As a writer your wonderful novels speak for you. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Madalyn! My actor son was rolling his eyes at some of the takes. After one, in which I didn't stutter, I said, 'nailed it!' but he said, 'no mum, you looked dead inside. Do it again.' He was a tough director.

      Delete
  6. Oh my .... this would be such an ordeal for so many but great that you were asked and as the saying has it ... it'll be all right on the night. And it was. Great effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! The marketing person says she's happy so that's good.

      Delete