Saturday 11 April 2020

BOOK REVIEWING MADE EASY

During the current lockdown, many are working flat out – doctors, nurses, care workers, supermarket employees, prison officers, the volunteer army – and we sincerely thank them all, clapping and singing and showing support in any way we can.

But for those doing their bit by staying indoors we are encouraged to stave off boredom by trying something new. In our household that’s included testing out new recipes, mastering Zoom and my husband even tried his hand at giving our eldest son a buzz cut! However, today I encourage readers to give something less hazardous a go - to try book reviewing.


WHERE TO START
If the thought of writing and sharing a review feels daunting, why not start short? Think of a book you loved and write a couple of sentences about what made it so special. If you would like to add more, try including a brief summary (avoiding spoilers) or suggest authors who write in a similar style. I can’t stress enough how authors will love you forever if you make the time to leave even the shortest of reviews.
 

NEVER WRITTEN BEFORE
So, you’ve never written before – it doesn’t matter. Now is the time to have a bash, and perhaps make new reading friends and discover new authors to enjoy at the same time.

STILL NOT SURE …
Book reviews and star ratings help promote an author’s work, which is always helpful, but during this time of uncertainty when bookshops are closed and supermarkets are removing bookshelves to make room for essential items, it has become a vital way for your favourite authors to reach new readers.

And remember, readers gain from reviewing too.  As a writer it makes me reflect on a novel – its characters, setting, point of view. What worked well, and occasionally, what could have been done differently. Even though I only write a couple of paragraphs, often publishers send me e-books they think I might enjoy.



WHERE TO SHARE REVIEWS
Again, for those starting out, begin where you feel comfortable sharing. Writing an Amazon review is a great place to begin, then consider popping it on Facebook or Twitter. I also post on Instagram and Pinterest, but do what feels right for you. Goodreads is an excellent site to browse for ideas on how it is done. Remember something is better than nothing when it comes to sharing book love.

WHEN TO REVIEW
It’s easiest to review just after you’ve finished a book. However, if you have days to fill, why not check out your bookshelves or kindle library and get writing?


WHAT IF I DIDN’T ENJOY A BOOK?
This is a tricky one. Usually I check out other reviews, magazine articles or book blogger posts  before I commit, so I’m confident I’ll enjoy a novel. On the odd occasion when I discover a book isn’t for me, then I’ll stop reading. I never review a book I haven’t finished and encourage everyone who reviews to be kind - especially during such stressful times.


DOING OUR BIT
Of course our priority must be to support key workers in any way we can, but if you wish to try something new, why not give book reviewing a go? Let’s do our bit by showing our love for authors and the publishing industry during this difficult time…


Stay safe… and start reviewing!

Rae x

16 comments:

  1. Reviews are so important to potential buyers and authors. They don't have to be long as one sentence will do.

    As for longer reviews, you make a good point about not revealing spoilers, Rae. But what is a spoiler?

    Personally, I think the book's blurb is a good rough guideline on the amount of the plot to reveal. Disclosing more information outside the blurb runs the risk of giving too much away.

    I feel it is the reader's right to discover the details of the plot as they read the book. How and when a reader discovers new characters, and if those characters are good or bad people, are all part of a reader's joy of reading. Giving away too many plot details in a review, in my opinion, can run the risk of diminishing future readers' unique experience of the novel, a unique experience the reviewer themselves were able to have for themselves.

    In my opinion, plot details/a step by step guide on what happened, do not tell us the reviewer's opinion on the quality of the novel and if they would recommend it to others... which is the aim of the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Victoria. I prefer to read a review that offers a feel for a novel rather than a blow by blow account of the plot. Great news for beginner reviewers as it's good to keep it short. Thanks for clarifying. xx

      Delete
  2. Great post, and what a good idea for filling this stay-at-home time! The main thing a review needs to cover is what the reader thought of the book. Occasionally new reviewers will feel they have to summarise the plot, as taught in school English classes, but this isn't a review, it's a precis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Kath. I'd encourage newbies to consider just one thing they liked ... one's enough ... The important thing is to share the love.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post, Rae. Thank you. And maybe it'll be the boot up the backside I need to review more of the books I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no saint when it comes to reviewing, Jo. In fact I'm using the lockdown to catch up on reviews, which gave me the idea for the post! : )

      Delete
  4. SUCH an important topic! Well done, Rae. You do my sort of reviews, too.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and sharing, John. You are a true friend of the blog... : )

      Delete
  5. Great post! I've always done book reviews on my blog, but I've always felt they were lacking something. Your post has made me rethink how I write them and where I share them, so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much for dropping by and commenting, Melanie. I'd love if you could share the name of your blog, so we can check out (and share) your reviews too. : )

      Delete
  6. A most excellent post, Rae. I confess to being very sparse in my reviews. I rarely give a precis of the plot as that can be a spoiler. I also never, ever post a review of something I don't like at all, or rate. I try to be honest, though, and remember my dear old Dad's wise words. He used to say if someone asks if you like their dress/hairstyle/whatever and you don't really, then you must find some, small positive thing to say about it. Food for thought in these times ... I've just read two books I did enjoy so .... off to do reviews now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your Dad, Linda, it is always possible to find a positive.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your blog post, Rae.

    Reviews are a wonderful way to thank an author for writing their book. I agree with what Kathleen says, that a review should include what the reader liked about a book. I have reviews that give a step by step walk-through of my novel – which of course makes me feel uncomfortable, despite my gratitude to that person for leaving a review.

    Of course there are some people who leave a one star rating without a single word to explain why. There's nothing an author can do but sadly watch their star rating drop. Occasionally I try and fail to finish a novel, but I wouldn't dream of leaving a bad review. One man's meat...

    Ange x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela, thanks for so much for reading and commenting. I agree that less is more when it comes to book reviewing... I too feel uncomfortable when reviews give away the whole plot.

      Delete
  8. A really great post, Rae. Thank you. It’s spurred me on to complete some reviews I’ve been intending to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's fantastic, Jan. Thanks so much for reading. Stay safe. xx

      Delete