Saturday 4 April 2020

Let's Talk About A Reader's Trust by Victoria Cornwall

Last week, on the 24th March, I celebrated the release of my sixth novel, Daniel's Daughter. Not only is Daniel's Daughter my sixth novel, but it is the sixth novel in my Cornish Tales Series, which are stand-alone tales set in Cornwall and are linked by family.


I never set out to write a series, it just sort of evolved. I knew, on a business level, it made sense. Well written series, whether film franchises or novels, can build a loyal following to the series brand. This "fan base" (I hate using the word fan as images of screaming, tearful Bay City Roller fans always comes to mind  - which gives away the decade I became a teenager and does not accurately represent people who read books) are more willing to see or purchase the product of a known, trusted brand. They know, from experience or recommendation, what they are going "to get" which greatly reduces their anxiety of completing the purchase. Reducing the anxiety is what all retailers hope to achieve, whether its by boasting about the awards their product has won, displaying positive reviews, investing in expensive marketing campaigns to reassure potential customers their product is "tried and tested", caring and trust worthy etc. etc.

Strangely that precious commodity of trust in a series, does not always extend to the author, screenwriter or publisher who has created it. For example, I have read all of the Poldark series (several times), but have never (to date) read another Winston Graham novel. Perhaps I am strange in that, but I suspect I am not. This is a valuable lesson for writers to learn. If an author takes their readers for granted and assume their fan base (there is that word again!) will buy whatever they write... and whatever quality they churn out, they are surely mistaken. A word of advice to any writers out there... never take the trust a reader has placed in you for granted. Their trust is only loaned to you and can just as easily be taken away.


The trust a reader places in a writer is very precious. I think every writer has some level of anxiety when writing the follow-up novel. I know I have every time I write a new novel for the Cornish Tales series. Writers know, deep down, that the next book needs to reach a certain level of expectation (preferably exceed it) in order not to let the reader down. Once the trust is gone, it is an uphill struggle to regain it. It took me two years to write Daniel's Daughter (quite long for me), as I wanted it to be right. I can only hope I managed to maintain the trust of the readers who have read my others, and maybe even gain a few more loyal customers (as you can see, I am trying to use another word for "fan" here) along the way.

Perhaps this is why the issue of trust plays such an important role in Daniel's Daughter. When the heroine, Grace Kellow, discovers a family secret, the truth destroys her trust in those people closest to her. Can she rebuild that trust? Does she even want to? I can only hope that readers loan me their trust and read the book so they can find out.

As this post comes to an end I have realised something. To the readers who have been loyal to the series and read every book so far (and I know there are many as you have told me so), I have realised that I am a fan of you, as when you tell me this, it is I who is screaming and crying with joy inside to hear from you... just like those Bay City Roller fans who left such an indelible impression on me in my youth.


Sometimes the truth is not easy to say and even harder to hear …

Cornwall, 1895
Grace Kellow is a young woman with a strong sense of who she is and where she comes from. As the daughter of a well-respected Cornish dairy owner Daniel Kellow, her existence in the village of Trehale is comfortable and peaceful.
But then handsome Talek Danning comes striding over Hel Tor, and soon after his arrival Grace is hit with a revelation that leaves her questioning her identity and her place in the Trehale community.
In her hour of need, Talek and his sister Amelia offer Grace sanctuary – but wherever Grace runs, her secret will follow …

Available as an eBook from the following online retailers:-

Also coming out in Audio format soon




12 comments:

  1. Fascinating! It's definitely not enough to just "write the book".

    An author can never rest on their laurels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, John. The pressure to write a good follow-up book is still there, no matter how many you have written before.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on novel number six, Victoria. An interesting take on the relationship between author and reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and so very true - we're only as good as our last book. Congratulations on publication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great point! #ReaderLove Also, big congrats on your sixth book. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Six books in a series...well done!

    I loved what you wrote here. A writer's relationship with readers is a wonderful thing, and it does go two ways. I hope the book does brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A part of a writer's life we might not think deeply about, but explored sensitively here.

    ReplyDelete