Saturday 24 November 2018

SHORT AND SWEET: SHORT STORIES ... by Rae Cowie

It’s a truth universally acknowledged that short story writing is a fantastic way for would-be novelists to perfect their craft.
For years I ignored this wisdom offered to beginner writers, not because I’m arrogant or thought I knew better, rather the opposite. I didn’t believe I was creative enough to continually imagine a company of new characters and settings. What I’d failed to grasp was that I didn’t need a mountainous stack of short story ideas all clamouring to be told. All that was required was that I write one story, followed by another, then another.


It wasn’t until I attended a short story writing workshop in May and began to wonder if I might tackle shorter work, that I understood if I read short stories, as well as wrote them, ideas would bubble up. Now instead of worrying I don’t have enough material to try shorter pieces, I find inspiration all around – a juicy snippet at the hairdressers, an unusual photograph on Pinterest, some interesting theme in the news.
As a newbie short story writer, the past few months have been encouraging. Last time I shared how thrilled I was that my Doric piece, The Whole Hog, was to be published by literary newspaper NorthwordsNow. The excitement continued when my short story, Jenny’s Well, was selected to be included in a Scottish Book Trust anthology, created to celebrate Book Week Scotland 2018. But this very nearly didn’t happen. My inner critic is strong and I wasn’t convinced my piece fitted the brief. Thankfully a generous writing buddy, Sareen McLay, gave me the push I needed to submit.

Book Week Scotland 'Rebel' Anthology

And I’m so glad she did. As well as 100,000 copies of the Rebel anthology being distributed to libraries and bookshops across Scotland, the stories were also published online. Contributors were invited to record their work at the Royal National Institute of the Blind studios in Glasgow, to be transmitted via RNIB radio. Hear me reading Jenny's Well around 6 minutes 45 seconds  (LISTEN NOW), along with an eclectic selection from fellow Rebel writers. The fun didn't stop there. We were treated to a swanky launch party in Edinburgh, where I met other writers – many experienced, some taking those tentative baby steps like me. I even received a shout out in our local newspaper.

Recording 'Jenny's Well' at the
RNIB Studios in Glasgow

So what lessons have I learnt from trying my hand at short story writing?
Firstly, that writing buddies are invaluable, not only for helping critique work but also, when the time is right, to give an encouraging nudge to submit.
Secondly, never to restrict myself as a writer. My inner critic is loud and bossy but she can be tamed, as long as I find the courage to have a go.
Finally, and possibly most importantly, remember to enjoy the ride. As well as finishing my women’s contemporary fiction novel, I intend continuing with short story writing, not only to hone my writing craft, but because it’s something I love to do.


So wherever you are on your writing journey, what wisdom do you wish to share?

Happy travelling!

Rae x

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your latest successes, Rae. As for me, I love reading short stories as its time to grab a coffee, put my feet up and indulge in the treat. The good ones have a twist or leaves you with a thought to ponder on. The best ones leave you feeling satisfied inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed you enjoy reading short stories, Victoria because you write them so well. I loved your recent short piece, the Friday treat from Choclit. : ) x

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Rae! I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry. It's been a fun experience! x

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, and congratulations on your successes! I came to novel writing via short stories. They're not easier to write - just take less time. They're different. Every word has to count - no waffle allowed. These days I enjoy the space a novel has to offer but I did love my period of writing shorts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd tried writing short pieces years ago, Kath, instead of telling myself they were too hard! Interestingly, I was at a writing workshop last week where there were two journalists, each intent on writing their debut novels, but both admitted to finding it desperately hard to write in a longer form. Perhaps writing is never easy, it's perseverance that is key... x

      Delete
  4. That's fantastic, Rae - I'm so pleased to see your writing getting such recognition. AND you won the RNA Elizabeth Goudge Award a few years ago. I started with short stories and still enjoy them now and again for the creativity. I think it's good to take every opportunity to try different types of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am my own worst enemy at times, Rosemary. Even after winning the Elizabeth Goudge I still doubted I could write short fiction. However, you've been an inspiration for many years, writing novels, poetry, flash pieces, articles... I've still a long way to go but great friends make the journey a joy. xx

      Delete
  5. Your enthusiasm is shining through and very infectious! Congratulations again, so lovely to hear of your successes and thank you for the kind mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Sareen but now I need to be the writing buddy encouraging you to send your work out there. Hope to catch up really soon. xx

      Delete
  6. I came to novel writing via short stories (and journalism) too, so welcome to the short story fraternity. I had a very long short story (4500 words) published a while back and that plot is now going to have a new life as a novel. I find with short stories that you can have so many more different moods and while my novels aren't humerous my short stories often are .... as the one mentioned above, so that is going to be a new venture for me - a novel with humour at is heart. Onward, Rae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine I'll ever be as successful or prolific a short story writer as yourself, Linda, but I've learnt to content myself with finishing one story at a time. It's fantastic news that one of your shorts has been the inspiration for a novel. I believe Kate Blackadder's festive Stella's Christmas Wish also began life as a short story. It's interesting that your short story writing voice is different, mine is too. There's more freedom to experiment. I'm delighted to be welcomed into the fraternity. : )

      Delete
  7. I too came to novel writing via short stories and journalism. I can understand how the journalists you mention above find it hard to write to a longer length having been used to getting a feature or news report written to fill a specific spot in the newspaper. I still struggle with adding emotion and description into my longer work. Well done on your success Rae - you're on a roll! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jennie. You hide your struggles with adding emotion and description beautifully! One of the things I love about your novels is your ability to whisk the reader to wonderful settings.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff, Rae, and I'm delighted at your success. Not before time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for your encouragement, Bill. Xx

      Delete