Saturday 29 September 2018

DORIC - FAE NORTHEAST SCOTLAND TO HOLLYWOOD

Last week I received the exciting news that my short story, The Whole Hog, is to be published in Northwords Now – the literary magazine of the north. I’m a writer - I’ve had a short story accepted – what makes that so special? Well the reason I’m thrilled is because it’s the first short story I’ve written in Doric.

WHAT IS DORIC?

But what is Doric? Unless you live in Scotland then it’s unlikely you will be familiar with the term. In the past, even the majority of Scots paid little attention to its existence. Yet earlier this month Doric shook off its status as a local dialect and was officially recognised as Scotland’s third language, to be acknowledged alongside English and Gaelic.

WHERE IS IT SPOKEN?

Cullen Viaducts, courtesy of
Neil Donald Photography
Doric is the native tongue (or mither tongue) of northeast Scotland, being spoken from just north of Dundee to around Elgin in Morayshire. In the 2011 census, 120,000 people – half the population of Aberdeenshire – identified as Scots/Doric speakers, compared with only 57,000 Scots who use Gaelic.

Doric is a fabulously expressive language. It is the language I speak at home with my parents and in-laws but, as a school child, found it was banished to the playground, strictly forbidden in the classroom. For my parents’ generation, communicating in Doric in front of a teacher led to them receiving several whacks of the belt.

For years the use of Doric has been on the decline and, as young people moved away from the northeast to study or find employment, was probably even considered a dying language.

A dear friend of mine, and Professor of Sociolinguistics at Glasgow University, Jennifer Smith, has made studying the changes in the use of Doric throughout the generations, a major part of her life’s work. My relatives and friends, from the area, have spent hours with her research team – happy to help.

But the good news is that in recent years the decline in the understanding of Doric has slowed. 

WHY THE RESURGENCE IN INTEREST IN DORIC?

There are a number of reasons for the resurgence in interest in a language that can be tricky for non-speakers to understand. One of the main contributing factors is that now it’s compulsory for Doric to
Joyce Falconer starring in Morna Young's Doric
play Aye, Elvis
be taught in both Primary and Secondary schools across both Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.

Aberdeen University recently launched a series of Doric night classes, as well as Doric writing workshops. In March of this year, it hosted a performance of Handel’s Messiah sung in Doric.

This summer, MornaYoung, a young playwright from the northeast, took Doric to the International Edinburgh Festival with her critically acclaimed play Aye,Elvis, starring River City actress, Joyce Falconer.

Dr ShaneStrachan, recipient of the prestigious Robert Louis Stevenson Fellowship, has written his debut novel, Quines at Sea (Girls at Sea), partly in Doric.  It is currently with leading literary agent Jenny Brown, being considered by publishers.

Speaking, writing and reading in Doric is no longer confined to northeast Scotland.

THE HOLLYWOOD EFFECT

Doric embraced by Hollywood
in the Pixar movie, Brave
In fact in 2012, the delights of listening to Doric were brought to a worldwide audience by Grey’s Anatomy actor, Kevin McKidd when he voiced the Young MacGuffin in the Pixar movie Brave. Pixar suggested that McKidd use nonsense Scots words, but instead he opted to use Doric, the language of his hometown that he learnt from his grandfather. Pixar loved it. Hear from McKidd himself on this You Tube clip... listen now.

LEARN TO SPEAK DORIC

So why not give it a go? It’s a wonderfully rich language, written, for the most part, phonetically. As a simple starting point, the letters WH are often replaced with the letter F. 
So…
What become Fit
Where becomes Far
Why becomes Fit wy
When becomes Fan
Here are some of my favourite Doric words …

FAVOURITE DORIC WORDS

Footer – to mess about , waste time   ‘Fit are you footerin aboot at'

Pellan – a fence   ‘He climt the pellan’
Bosie – a warm cuddle  ‘Gis a bosie’
Skelp – a slap  ‘He’s gan to git a skelp’
Splooter – to spill  ‘Fit a splooter yer makin’
Red up – a mess   ‘Fit a red up!’

WANT TO LEARN MORE…

I hope I’ve piqued your interest in the Doric language. To learn more, a fun place to start is the Doric Dictionary online.

NORTHWORDS NOW

And if you’d like to read my FREE short story, The Whole Hog, written using the pseudonym Isobel
Northwords Now -
available as a newspaper, Kindle version and online
Rutland – partly written in Doric so it is still accessible to non-Doric speakers – then it will be available in the autumn edition of Northwords Now online very soon. (I’ll update the link when it is posted).

I hope you’ve enjoyed this sma introduction to Doric.
Dinna bide awa! (Come back soon!)

Rae x
I'd love if you'd leave a message or get in touch on Twitter @Rae_Cowie

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Rae! I wish I could be a fly on the wall of your parents' home to hear y'all speaking Doric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, it's so lovely of you to drop by. You'd be made very welcome here in NE Scotland. : ) Some Doric words sound quite like German. When I worked in banking my colleagues instantly knew when I phoned home because I would automatically switch to speaking Doric. Just today my dad used a Doric word that I'm not sure I've heard before, so it's good that there's an academic interest in the language so words are recorded rather than being lost forever. xx

      Delete
  2. Fit like, Rae? A gey interesting post. Ah mind fan we first cam tae bide in Aiberdeenshire frae Glesga, that the primary squeel pit oan a play "The Loonie Fa Cried Wolf." It wis a fine production and the loons, quines, mithers and faithers all enjoyed it michtily.

    And in Standard English, friends from Glasgow were horrified that I was "allowing" my bairns to speak Doric. One of those bairns now has a degree in German and fluency in several other languages, including Dutch and Japanese. It's my contention that if you are 'woke' - as I believe we say now - to other accents and dialects, you're more aware of the languages of other countries too. My degree's in German and Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It's a shame that Doric was regarded as a poor man's English for so long and great that it's now been recognised as an official separate language. I'm sure you'll agree there are a whole stack of Doric words that don't directly translate into English, because context and delivery plays a larger part in the Doric language. So pleased to hear your bairns share your love of learning languages. : )

      Delete
  3. What a great post, Rae - congratulations on your story! I love many of the Doric words. I'm from down the west coast where we had our own wonderful dialect at times. The only words I recognised as being used there (and using myself) are 'footer' and 'skelp' though I think I've heard 'bosie' before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosemary, that's so interesting. I'm not always certain where Scots and Doric overlap. I fear there are lots of words that my grandparents used regularly that have completely disappeared from conversational use now. 'Bosie' is such a lovely word - normally used when a child needs a comforting hug. Perhaps my all time favourite Doric word. xx

      Delete
  4. Anything which promotes Scots Dialect gets my vote. Like Rosemary, above, I recognised some of the words: kelp, Redding up the house etc. My family hail from the Central Belt (horrible word) but my step-father came from Whitburn near Edinburgh. When I met his family I was shocked to hear them calling him Joan (!) It was their way of pronouncing John, of course. LOL. Sadly, two reviewers knocked a star off their reviews for GIRL IN THE CASTLE because they didn't like dialect words in novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lizzie, it's such a shame that there seems to be a misunderstanding around the use of Scots - believing words to be slang, rather than an official language. I enjoy reading books set in the Caribbean, some of which include a flavour of Jamaican Patois. I don't understand it all, but it adds authenticity of the writing. Just as writing in the voice of someone from NE Scotland might/should include Doric. Loved reading Girl in the Castle. xx

      Delete
  5. First of all, congratulations on the publication of your short story!
    Secondly, wow, what an interesting post. I've never heard of Doric, I've heard some of the words, but I just thought it was the local slang words rather than a language in its own right.
    Thirdly, I am in awe of you blending both together and getting published using Doric. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. It was easier for me to write partly in Doric (which should be accessible to non-Doric speakers) because that's how I speak it now. I would never attempt to write fully in Doric as I would find that far too hard. I attended a fantastic series of short story writing workshops that focused on writing in Doric, which really helped get me in the zone!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your publishing success! What a great post. I love the sound of Doric. I bet it's beautiful when spoken fluently. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Terry. When my sons were born we lived outside Edinburgh - non-Doric country - so my husband and I chose not to speak Doric at home. So although my teenage sons understand Doric, they're not fluent speakers, but they both love to use the odd Doric word or phrase for effect. It's such an expressive language and much comes in the tone of delivery, as well as the actual words used.

      Delete
  7. Love this post. I have learned something new. I had never even heard of Doric. Thank you for enlightening me. Now I want to see Brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth, thanks so much for reading. I've been amazed by the amount of wonderful comments and interest generated by this post. I'm planning on watching Brave again too!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Rae. It cheers me up to read this. It's a sair fecht scrievin in Scots! When readers criticise my 'heavy use of Scottish vernacular" or use of Gaelic (!) I often wonder if it's worth it! On the other hand there are a wheen of folk out there who appreciate it All power to your elbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Marie. And well done in continuing to write in Scots! I usually write women's relationship fiction, so when I signed up for the series of Doric writing workshops I wasn't at all confident I'd be able to do it - the story would need to be set in the northeast, it would need to be true to the area. However, I'd had the idea for a story revolving around a hog roast that just wasn't working when written in English, but came to life when written in Doric. Strange - but true! Good luck with your work.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Rae, brilliant news! Funnily enough after learning about the Doric word 'tow' the other week I came across it again last weekend! I was in Dromore, near Belfast, at my Dad's cousin's flaxmill and learnt about 'tow-scutchers' - language is a fantastic thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sareen. For non-Doric speakers, the word 'tow' (pronounced - ow, rhyming with cow) means a piece of old rope. So what is a tow-scutcher? Does this mean 'tow' is a Celtic word, rather than only used in the NE?

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on the story success, and many thanks for educating us all to Doric. We have a very strong dialect here in Devon and I've got four books that I doubt anyone but a Devonian would be able to read ..... not a different language as such, but certainly challenging to those not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I holidayed in Devon as a child, Linda, staying on a farm with a family and I remember not having a hope of understanding what the farmer said. Come to think of it, it must have made for an interesting fortnight - my family nattering away in Doric and the lovely Devon family chattering in the local dialect. We'd a fantastic time! Hats off to you writing whole novels in Devonian. I don't plan on writing anything more than a short story in Doric. I would find it too hard. Are your Devonian novels published? Lovely to learn of other dialect too. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weel deen Rae! Afa pleased tae hear ye've a story eesin Doric tae be published in Northwards. I write poetry...maistly in Doric, as I come fae Dyce...an the mither tongue wis my first language. Mair pooer tae yer elbick, quine! Aa the best Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Affa chuft ye read it, Sheila. Aa the best wi yer ane writing!

      Delete
  13. I have only just seen your post Rae - behind as usual these days. I really enjoyed it. We stayed on a farm at Turriff once and now I know why I couldn't understand everything being said - e.g. in a day's yolkin. Love to read the story when it is out.
    Best wishes
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gwen, thanks so much for reading. Doric is certainly very much alive and well in Turriff. I was brought up speaking Doric, but there are still plenty words for me to learn.

      Delete