Saturday 2 October 2021

The Bones of a Story

Content warning: if you are squeamish about skeletons this is not the post for you. 

I'm in Paris at the moment, having a lovely week away with my husband. We promised ourselves this would be the first trip we'd do, post-Covid. Although of course the pandemic hasn't gone away, travel restrictions have eased enough and we thought we should just get on and keep our promise to ourselves.

Today we took a trip to the Paris Catacombs. It's somewhere I've wanted to visit for a while but never got round to, until now. What an awesome place this is!

In the Catacombs


A little history for you: in the late 1800s Paris had was terribly overcrowded - both the living and the dead. Cemeteries inside the city limits were overflowing. Bodies had been exhumed and the remains stacked underground. In 1780 a basement wall in Saints Innocents (spookily, right where our hotel is) collapsed due to the weight of the mass grave behind it - the cemetery here had been in use for 1000 years. Something had to be done.

Under the Left Bank area of Paris were a series of tunnels and chambers, where limestone had been quarried for building purposes. It was proposed that the overflowing cemeteries were closed, the remains exhumed and stored in those underground passages. New burial grounds were consecrated outside the city.

Barrel - ends of femurs and skulls make up the shape


Overnight, wagons containing hundreds of thousands of bones were carted from the old cemeteries to the new ossuary. Initially the bones were simply dumped in the old quarries, but from 1810 a project was put underway to organise them and turn them into a visitable mausoleum. The larger bones, mostly femurs, and skulls were stacked in decorative formations with smaller bones left jumbled behind. It opened to the public in the early 19th century.

No one knows exactly how many peoples' remains are here, but it is well into the millions. Today the public can walk through a couple of kilometres of underground passageways lined with bones, after descending 131 steps down from the entrance. It's an amazing experience, a chance to contemplate the vast numbers of people who have walked this earth before us, an opportunity to think about death and what we leave behind.

I've seen bones used as a decorative feature before - in the Chapel of Bones, Evora, Portugal which I visited a few years ago. I remember feeling incredibly moved by it - especially when I noticed one arch was made of skulls that were far smaller than the others, obviously the remains of babies and small children. Heartbreaking.

Chapel of Bones, Evora, Portugal

The Paris Catacombs were less moving, to me at least. The skulls were adult sized and because I'd read up on the history before we visited and knew where the bones had come from, it seems in a way to be a better thing to do with them. There's a reverence to the way they are laid out, a feeling of calm and peacefulness (despite the visitors). They had to be moved, and here they are, in what is hopefully a final resting place.

In a few of my dual timeline novels, the historical mystery is resolved when remains of a person who'd disappeared are found, centuries later. I have written about skeletons on more than one occasion, but never imagined seeing so many all together. There's a story in there somewhere - the nightly procession of carts taking bones from the old cemeteries, the men working below ground tightly stacking femurs to create walls of bones, the carving of plaques stating from which cemetery bones in that area had been brought.

Bones from the Trinity Hospital, placed here in 1814

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting post! Honestly, I don't do caves or tunnels, so thank you for sharing this thing that I will likely never see in person. What an interesting way to honor and contemplate death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Kath! What a fascinating post. I'd heard of the Paris Catacombs but had no idea what lay within. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to visit, those walls might give me nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love the catacombs, they are one of my favourite parts of Paris, so fascinating. Did you know that as well as the 1.5km loop open to the public, there's a whopping 320km of further tunnels that crisscross the whole city? They're supposedly off limits, but there are 'catophiles' who love to explore down there, hold raves and parties, and even run an underground dining club! I love places like this, they're great for sparking off ideas, and in some cases they even end up in my work (the catacombs play a part in my book, Falling in Louvre). I'm glad you found them as interesting as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I find things like this fascinating and if I had known about them I would have visited, there is still a part of me that feels it is somehow exploitative to use the bodies as decorative pieces. Yet it is highly moving and opens up discussions and thoughts that are still taboo. I would love to visit them... and probably will one day, but I would feel conflicted at the same time. Life is complicated and it appears how we treat the dead is even more so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the Paris Catacombs featuring heavily in the 1965 film Paris Secret! Fascinating' mind you I was an impressionable 16 year old back then!
    There are a LOT of cities around with catacombs and ossuaries. A useful space-saving device in a very cramped city.

    ReplyDelete