Sunday 22 August 2021

Multi-tasking

 

This month I find myself in the unusual situation of working on two novels at once. I often overlap writing them – typically having one novel that’s with an editor while I start on a new one, and then when the editor responds I’ll break off from writing the new one to work on the edits.



But now I am in the first draft stage for two novels. One is more or less there – I have reached the end but there are some gaps and I need to add several scenes before I can say the first draft is complete. The other is about one third done.


The deadline for the first is not until October so I should be able to complete it easily enough. The second is not a contracted novel – it is something a little different that I just fancied writing.


Many authors only ever work on one book at a time, and only start researching and thinking about a new novel when the previous one has been sent to the proof-reader. I’m contracted to write two a year and so this isn’t possible for me – I have to make use of the time while waiting for feedback or for the copy editor to complete their work otherwise I’d never get them done. Elapsed time for each novel, from beginning the research through to completing the copy-edits, is at least 9 months, up to a year.


‘But how do you keep two stories in your mind at once?’ I’m sometimes asked. Well I have to do that anyway, as my novels are in the dual timeline genre – a historical mystery is uncovered and resolved in the present day – so there are two stories in each book in any case.


Also, like most people I will always have a novel that I’m reading on the go, and probably two or three TV drama series that we’re watching in the evenings. So typically I might have half a dozen unfinished story lines in my head at any one time – what’s another one or two?!




I think humans have a huge capacity for story. We can and do carry many stories around with us; some where we know the ending and others that are still being played out, whether in real life, on TV or between the covers of a book. Stories we’re writing are just the same as stories we’re consuming (apart from the fact we need to remember more detail about them, of course!)


Anyway, I have decided to give myself a few weeks on the non-contracted novel before I go back to finish the other one, in good time before it’s due to be sent to my editor. It all helps keep writing alive and fun for me. After a period at the beginning of this year when I felt like giving it all up, I’ve worked hard to rediscover the joy of writing. Part of that is allowing myself the freedom to work on what I most want to work on.


What about you? Do you ever work on more than one novel at a time or not?

10 comments:

  1. Kath: I so envy your ability to multi-task with your writing! Although I've usually got an audio book, a Kindle book, and an actual physical book on the go, plus television series in play, writing is a completely different beast. My brain can't do it! I take my hat off to you! Happy writing. (And reading and watching.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to write one, jotting down ideas for 10 more, trying to find time to read, life is just SO damn busy - especially in this eternal winter of a year!
    What I need is an extra 4 - 8 hours in every day!!

    I think a few of you can empathise! LOL

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kath! I'm impressed by your juggling. I only work on one novel at a time, but I also write flash fiction which is my time to play and experiment with different voices, genre etc. Good luck with both projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, yes, definitely could do with a few more hours in every day!
    Rae, writing different formats is at least as hard as writing two novels at once. It's been years since I tried short stories and they're so different to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey, my brain nearly exploded reading this! I'm fairly good at multi-tasking around the house but maybe it would increase my writing out-put if I transferred the skills ... hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's from my days with a day job when I always had several projects on the go. Used to liken it to plate-spinning, keeping an eye on each project and giving it a little spin if it looked about to wobble...

      Delete
  6. I can only think of a new plot when I have completed the previous one so writing two books at the same time is not something I could do. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always tended to start thinking about the next one before I finish the previous one, but usually limit myself to writing a few notes rather than actually getting writing! But this time they are two different genres and the non-contracted one was just shouting so loudly at me...

      Delete
  7. I'm impressed, Kath! And agree with you wholeheartedly that short stories are so different to novel writing. Now that I've made 'the switch' I'm not sure I can write short stories any more! Interested in your very honest comment that you felt like 'giving it all up' earlier this year. Do you think you'd just lost your mojo? Is that why you're trying your hand at something different now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had lost my mojo for a bit, and I was struggling with the novel I was writing (thankfully now finished and it ended up ok!)
      I definitely struggle with short stories now. They're a very different craft. I like the space you have in a novel!

      Delete