Friday 13 August 2021

In which we discuss books and podcasts...


Hey, fellow writers.

I don’t have anything exciting to share this time around, as I’m taking a step away from writing and just enjoying life. To that end, I’ll dedicate this blog post to the books and podcasts that have been taking up my time now that I’m not writing.

Hope you, your family, friends, and love ones are keeping well.

Terry

Beneath the Skin by Caroline England.

My first Caroline England book and it definitely won’t be my last. A tangled web of a haunting story, tightly plotted with a well-developed cast of characters, and a surprising reveal at the end. This writer knows her stuff.

The Switch by Beth O’Leary

A poignant escape read, with all the good feels. Tells the story of a grandmother and granddaughter who swap houses (and as such lives) for a few months. The hijinks ensue, as each character struggles to adapt to the other’s social structure and drama, all the while delicately dealing with the loss of a beloved family member. Highly recommend.

The First Wife –Podcast with the first wife of Dirty John

If you are one of many millions of podcast listeners or movie watchers who followed the story of John Meehan, the podcast told from the perspective of his first wife, Tonia Bales, is a must listen! And for all you crime writers out there, be sure and check out the bonus episodes featuring behavioral analyst Dr. Laura Richards, who takes a deep dive into the many facets of John Meehan’s psyche.

Nemesis – Agatha Christie audio book narrated beautifully by Emilia Fox.

Many of you know Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors, and Nemesis features Jane Marple at her subtle yet keen finest. In Nemesis, Miss Marple honors the dying request of Jason Rafiel (first seen in The Caribbean Mystery) and sets out to solve an old murder that implicated his wayward son, Michael. The narration of this audio book is what makes it so wonderful. It’s a comfort listen for me, a definite “re-listenable.”

Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman

Alice Hoffman is reigning queen of lyrical writing, and this book of short stories doesn’t disappoint. Check out these opening sentences:

“It was said that boys should go on their first sea voyage at the age of ten, but surely this notion was never put forth by anyone’s mother.” The Edge of the World

“Witches take their names from places, for places are what give them their strength.” The Witch of Truro

“On the farthest edges of the cape, it was widely believed that cranberries first came to earth in the beak of a dove. If that was indeed true, then heaven was red, and the memory of paradise could be plucked from the low-growing shrubs that grew in the dampest, muddiest bogs – a far cry from heaven it would seem, at least to some. “Insulting the Angels.”

That’s it for me. What have you been listening to or reading? Do share!

Happy writing,

Terry 

3 comments:

  1. I listened to the Dirty John podcast after watching the TV series. It's a great lesson on how a toxic relationship starts and why it continues, despite others expressing their concerns. Ultimately it will drive families apart and/or lead to far worse, but the scary thing... it could happen to anyone wanting to find love and I think this is what resonates with people and why it became so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent about a month reading a Barbara Erskine book but must admit I didn't enjoy it all that much. Not sure why I stuck with it. I rarely listen to podcasts as I struggle to concentrate on audio - am much better reading things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Switch has been on my to-be-read pile for a while, and the Alice Hoffman collection sounds interesting, Terry. I'm about to start my book club read - The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. It's a novel that keeps popping up on my social media feeds and has loads of great reviews, so should be a good one to discuss. : )

    ReplyDelete