Saturday 3 July 2021

Audiobooks for the win!



Fasten your seatbelts, readers. I'm pretty certain this post is going to get some of you pretty riled up, but I've recently gone through an epiphany, and I'm going to bare my soul and share it here. In 2006 when my husband and I relocated across the country, I purged a giant portion of my books. In fact, I only hung onto the tomes that I knew I would read again, crying a little as I parted with the bulk of my childhood books and many of my other favorites. I’ve been carrying books around with me since I left my parents’ home, and throughout my life my books have provided me comfort, in addition to hours of entertainment.

But the wheel turns and attitudes change. Lately (oh, this is difficult to write) my favorite way to get story doesn’t involve a book at all. I hereby declare myself an audiophile. I adore audio books. There’s nothing like being read to by a professional reader, and audiobooks let me go about my day-to-day activities, like cleaning house and exercising, all the while listening to my favorite book. Although I have a well loaded Kindle, and I do read on it occasionally, lately I’m getting my story via audio.

Industry pundits say that audio books are experiencing unprecedented growth. Now, more than ever, there are choices galore and all kinds of content available. As I wondered why I felt such guilt over abandoning the physical books which I’ve loved forever, I realized it doesn’t matter how we get our story, how we absorb the words and sentences that take us to new worlds and expand our minds. Be it physical books, e-books, or audio books, at the end of the day it’s really about a tightly woven plot that resolves in a satisfying way and character relationships that involve us emotionally.

As I curl up on the couch with a cup of tea, headphones at the ready, I like to think that listening to a book is teaching me to use my brain in different ways, to focus on what I hear, and to make me a better listener. I will always have a soft spot for books, of hours spent in bookstores, of the smell of bound volumes, and of the way physical books enhanced my life will always be dear. I’ve just moved on and embraced a new way to get my story.  

How about you? Are you attached to physical books? Do you like listening to audio books? Drop and a comment and let me know.

Happy reading (or listening), everyone.

Terry

 




6 comments:

  1. Audio books do seem to be more and more popular, which is a great thing.
    Personally I find books need to go in through the eyes, not the ears. I am dreadful at concentrating when listening so would miss half the story. And I hate wearing earphones or earbuds of any kind. So audio books are not for me, but I am happy that all mine are available in this format and selling nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to audiobooks when driving and ironing, and, if I'm really into a book, might listen when walking too. (Although I find it good for the soul to 'switch off' and listen to nature.) I'm in awe that you had a major cull of books, Terry, particularly your childhood ones - a stronger woman than me! I think it's brilliant that audiobooks are reaching a new audience too, readers who, for loads of different reasons, find accessing physical and ebooks hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that dangerous? Driving and ironing at the same time? xx

      Delete
  3. I have tried Audiobooks, and not with a great amount of success. There ARE exceptions, but sadly, its not every book that turns out as well as Penelope Wilton reading the Cazalets, or, of course, Steven Fry reading Harry Potter!
    Also, if I AM listening to an audiobook it tends to be late at night, in bed, and I can never remember where on the track I fell asleep!

    However, notwithstanding all this - there is NO DOUBT that Audiobook sales are expanding massively. It really seems to be the way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh to be able to listen to audiobooks! I am profoundly deaf and while my own books have come out in audio I've never been able to hear one. All that said, I don't think I'd be able to give myself up entirely to listening to an audio book. I know I'd want to do the ironing, or dust something, make a cake, change the bed. I'm not a fan of ebooks either .... give me the feel and smell of paper in my hand, a lovely cover to close when I've finished reading for the day. And the opportunity to make money for charity to pass a paper book on when I've finished with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would enjoy audio-books as I enjoy listening to podcasts, its just taking that initial step. Yes, I know I am behind the times... I have only recently dipped my toe into the eBook universe! :)

    ReplyDelete