Saturday 13 June 2020

TODAY IS . . . WHAT DAY?





Anybody else remember standing on street corners with a collecting tin and a box of flags trying to raise money for a worthy cause like the Red Cross, the local Brownie troup, or Save the Whale? No? Just me then, a long time ago. Those Flag Days had to be organised well in advance and permission granted by the local council. I guess nowadays everone supports their favourite charity or organisation via PayPal.

Flag Days as such may have disappeared but they have been replaced in this modern world by numerous events throughout the year. Lots of worthy causes have their own days, week or month throughout the year but as we slowly come out of lockdown after three months, I thought I’d tell you about a couple of the more light-hearted event days for June 2020 in an effort to raise our spirits. 

National Hug Your Dog day happened on June 4 but it was also National Moonshine Day! I mean moonshine? Who makes the stuff these days? On June 6 we could all be children again on YoYo day. I’m sorry I missed that one. 
Soon on the 19 we will have Wallace and Gromit Day - feel free to binge watch as many episodes as you can take! 
I’m used to working with a cat on my desk and a dog at my feet but that will be official on the 22 and 26 of this month when it’s Bring Your Cat to Work day followed by Take Your Dog to Work.


                                                         
We writers even have a National Writing Day on June 24 - the premise behind this is, ‘everyone has a story to tell and sharing it can be a source of pleasure and power.’ Not sure about that word power.

To refer back to the title of this blog, today is June 13. Its not only National Cupcake Day it’s also National Rosé Day. I’ll raise my glass to that and wish you all a good weekend and happy writing.


8 comments:

  1. Just about every day is rose day in my house ;)

    Lovely post, Jenny. I shall be ensuring the cat sits in on any meeting on the 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I also took my cat to work almost every day for 20 years as I was a homeworker. Must remember to catch yoyo day next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post, Jennie! How did I miss it was cupcake day? Off to compensate by popping a bottle of rosé in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look up National Days I often get confused by which country is celebrating what. Although does it really matter in this global society... any excuse to celebrate, remember and/or reflect is not a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have celebratory markers, as the days do blend together. Raising a glass to you, Jennie. What a charming post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I celebrated World Gin Day last Saturday, and, of course, EVERY day is Beer Day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. World Gin Day, John? Why didn't you tell me???? I missed that one.

      Delete
  7. Well .... you'll be pleased to know I celebrated rose day on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday .... just a glass not a bottle but it was a lovely celebration!

    ReplyDelete