Friday 26 June 2020

My Over and Overs.




I love discovering new authors, I really do. There’s nothing better than finding a great book which sweeps me away. And if I’m really lucky, my newly discovered favorite author has a backlist that I can voraciously consume. Trends in fiction change, so it’s important we writers read widely, read outside our comfort zone, and be mindful of the fiction market in general. 

But we all have our favorites, the books I like to call my mac-and-cheese/comfort food reads, or my “over and overs.” These are the books I can re-read or re-listen – as I mostly listen to my books these days – and discover something new about the characters or plot or some new technique that I missed in previous readings. It’s my pleasure to share this list with you. In turn, I hope you will comment and tell me your favorite books and why you like them.

The Thirteenth Tale. This gothic favorite landed in my to be read pile by accident, but I was captivated at page one and am still amazed by the beauty of this book today. Written by Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale is an amazing story told through the eyes of book lover and biographer, Margaret Lea. When the reclusive yet famous writer, Vida Winter, calls on Margaret to write her biography, Margaret is thrust into a world of secrets which need to be laid to rest. Margaret Lea writes Vida Winter’s story through the lens of her own childhood pain in this richly woven story. 




A Discovery of Witches/The All Souls Trilogy. 

A Discovery of Witches takes the “forbidden love” trope often seen in vampire stories and uses it to draw attention to human short comings by exploring racism and the way humans are damaging their own environment. The story is superbly researched and beautifully written. The audio version is really good and is currently at the top of my over and over pile. 



The Clock Strikes Twelve. Make no mistake about it, I love a good British mystery, which is my go-to genre. Although Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors, I also have a soft spot for Patricia Wentworth, whose Miss Silver Mysteries are every bit as clever and well written as Agatha Christie’s Jane Marple series. The Clock Strikes Twelve is a quick and easy read. If you prefer audio books, you won’t be disappointed. All of the Miss Silver books are narrated by Diana Bishop, who does a superior job at bringing the story to life. These books are a series, but can be read out of order.



The 4:50 from Paddington. The first Jane Marple book, this is one of my all-time favorite Agathas. The cover shown here is a stunner. 


Save the Cat Writes a Novel. I have a lot of how-to-write books. Every year I pull them out and reread them with an eye towards giving my skillset an intensive tune-up. Save the Cat Writes A Novel by Jessica Brody has totally changed my writing game. The book takes the screenwriting ethos made famous in Blake Snyder’s best-selling book on screenwriting and adapts the methodology for novelists. This book breaks the novel writing process down into easy steps. Jessica Brody provides beat sheets, discusses genre, and helps writers make decisions about their story that will clarify the process. I have this book in paperback and audio. When I’m getting ready to start a new novel, I relisten to it a couple of times. It has really helped me and I can’t recommend it highly enough. If you're interested in this fabulous book, you can find out more about it here

So what do you think? Tell me about the books you read over and over in the comment section. 

Happy writing!  

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for these recommendations, Terry. My TBR pile has just got a little bigger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I devoured Agatha Christie novels as a young teen but never thought of revisiting them - something I must try. Also The Thirteenth Tale sounds like the kind of novel my book group would enjoy. I'm afraid I don't have comfort reads to share, as I can't resist the appeal of glittering new books and authors. Although several of my 'how to write' manuals are very well worn! Thanks for sharing, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Save the Cat Writes A Novel is a SUPERB craft book!! It really does tell you what to do, when to do it, and WHY!!

    Re Agatha Christie; A very good friend is married to a Polish girl, Yaga. She was a high flying banker in Germany and then in London and is multilingual. She tells me that Agatha Christie is one of the EASIEST authors for Polish and German readers because she actually uses a very small vocabulary.

    I have never noticed, and it certainly didn't stop her writing some first class mysteries.

    The things you learn, eh?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some good recommendations there!
    I rarely read a book more than once. My dad, who died far too young, always said life's too short to read a book twice. So for me it has to be pretty remarkable to read a second time. I've only ever read about half a dozen books more than once - if you don't count my childhood Enid Blytons which I read many many times!

    One book for writers I read a second time: Monkeys with Typewriters by Scarlett Thomas. This was a breakthrough book for me. Hate to admit - I bought Save the Cat but didn't get on with it. Can't see how to make the structure work with dual timelines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 4.50 from Paddington is right up there with one of the more memorable Christies. (They do tend to merge!)

    I have The Thirteenth Tale on my TBR pile and I;m currently reading Save The Cat. Diane Setterfield's Once Upon a River is one of my over and overs.

    ReplyDelete