Friday 3 January 2020

Walking and Writing


I've just spent two full weeks at home with my husband and sons over Christmas. In that time we've been on loads of lovely walks - along the cliffs and beach near our home in Bournemouth, over Hengistbury Head - the peninsular between the Bournemouth beach and Christchurch harbour, in the New Forest, and through the suburbs and streets into the town centre.

Sons at Hengistbury Head


Some days the weather was glorious - crisp cold days when the sun glints off the sea. Others were grey and overcast but still with a subdued beauty of their own.

My family are all keen on walking. When with others you can chat or fall silent, enjoying the surroundings. When alone you can let your mind wander. I often find myself writing a chapter of my work-in-progress, or a blog post, or planning a new novel as I walk.

I've used walking as a therapy in the past. I remember returning home feeling stressed after settling my mum back into her home after she'd had a prolonged spell in hospital. I was on call for work and had an outstanding call I needed to deal with - I'd thought I should just log onto my computer straight away and sort out the problem. But my husband said no, you need a bit of time for yourself first, and he insisted I go out for a walk with him, along the cliffs and back along the beach. By the time I'd done this I felt so much better, able to check in with work with a clear head, and glory of glories, found that someone else had solved the problem.

Once a year we head up to the Lake District with friends for a week's more serious walking in the fells. There's nothing better than the feeling of stretching muscles as you climb, each step taking you a little higher and further than the last; the sense of accomplishment when you reach the summit cairn; the glorious views from the top. Sadly with my aging knees the descent is not so pleasurable, but so far walking poles plus knee supports plus ibuprofen get me down safely.

With my husband in the Lake District


The Lake District has provided me with inspiration for my novels - especially The Drowned Village which is based on a reservoir remarkably like Haweswater, and its submerged abandoned village.

So, in the spirit of 'new year, new you,' why not try walking more? Walk to the shops for that extra pint of milk instead of hopping in the car. Walk to your friends' houses. Walk to the restaurant for your night out. Or just walk for the sake of it, to give yourself a half hour or so away from work/writing/chores. You'll return feeling exercised and refreshed and altogether more able to face the world.

Maybe I'm preaching to the converted here - maybe you're all walkers anyway. But if you're not, give it a go. It's a form of exercise that can be done anywhere, costs nothing, requires no training to get in shape for, and which brings all sorts of health benefits, both mental and physical.

Happy New Year, and happy walking!

10 comments:

  1. I love taking long walks. The Lake District is a beautiful place to explore. The coastal path around Cornwall is a great walk, with lots of different sections/coastline. So if you ever get around to seeing all of the Lake District, pop down to Cornwall for your next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a fair amount of walking in Cornwall in the past - love it but it has no mountains so can never surpass the Lake District for me/1

      Delete
  2. I can't walk very far, but I really enjoy getting away from things, even for half an hour orso. And yes, I do plot as I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A woman after my own heart! I walk every day for a couple of miles, and some days - if my husband is with me - I'll do twice, or three times, that. I, too, have 'written' as I wa;l - whole 1000 word short stories have just poured out once I got home. If I feel sludgy I will often walk around the block for half an hour or so after tea. We have some very steep hills here so feel quite righteous doing that! But my favourite walk is down to the sea and back - takes about twenty minutes brisk walking. I couldn't agree more how good walking is for the soul ... and, of course, our general health. So glad I can still walk like I do despite having Sjogrens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to walk every day! I try to when home but might not always. Currently in Spain and it's more about the cycling here than walking - good exercise but not as good for plotting.

      Delete
  4. I love going on long walks. Nature is so stimulating and inspirational. We have a little loop by my house filled with old trees and a pond. We have a lovely heron, visiting geese, and other water fowl. The Lakes District is on my bucket list! So gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant to read that as well as writing we have walking in common. We have a wonderful long, sandy beach about a ten minute drive away, which is a great stretch to march along when I need to blow away some cobwebs - summer and winter! And then I also enjoy bagging the odd Munro with my husband (and sometimes our grown boys too). After the excesses of the festive season, I definitely need to pull on my walking boots and start moving. Happy walking adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love beaches in the winter - prefer Bournemouth out of season definitely.

      Delete