Monday 13 January 2020

Our first guest author of the decade, Kate Furnivall, talks all things research.

When I found out I was to host the first guest author of the decade there was no contest. Happily, fellow Brixham Writers member, and acclaimed Times best-seller author Kate Furnivall, agreed to take part. I have been privileged and thrilled to attend every one of Kate's local book signings, and have also heard snippets of every work-in-progress read out at our weekly meetings. How lucky am I?? So ... here she is:-

 Let's talk research by Kate Furnivall

It sounds dull, doesn't it? Dull, drab and dusty. Trawling through a never-ending pile of books and documents, trekking up to London to scour the hallowed shelves of the British Library. Jotting fiercely into notebooks. Not exactly a thrill a minute, right? Wrong. Believe me, research is the most fun-filled part of novel-writing. Because once I have been through all the books and the photos of my chosen setting for my new story, I toss my mozzie-cream into my wheelie case and off I go to explore. It might be Italy, France, Russie, the Bahamas or the captivating ancient secrets of Egypt, all of which have provided settings for my books. It's time to get my hands dirty. To smell the earth, taste the local delicacies and lose myself in mysterious alleyways that lead ... well, who knows where? I don't plan. I go with the flow.


   It usually starts well. When I land at the airport I proffer my passport with a polite smile and try not to look like a drug-donkey. I check into a comfortable hotel, no problem. Except for the time I dived into a creaky old lift - the cage sort with a grille for a door that snaps at your fingers - in an equally creaky Montmartre hotel in Paris and the electricity shorted out. I was stuck. In the dark. For an hour. Merde!

   But wait. It gets weirder. There was the time I stopped off at a lavatory on the side of a Russian motorway - one of the hole-in-the-ground variety perched over a smelly stream in a forest. Yes they DO still exist over there. As I emerged I found myself face to face with a skinny pale-eyed wolf. We both froze. Stared. Showed our teeth. I don't know which of us was more terrified. An old black crow dropped down from a branch, flapping its wings. The wolf fled one way. I fled the other, and you can bet that at the next hole-in-the-ground I kept my legs crossed.


   These things have a habit of happening to me, as if I slip down strange wormholes. On another occasion for research purposes I went up in a flimsy pre-war open-cockpit Tiger Moth biplane to immerse myself in the authentic feel of the experience for The Betrayal in which my main character was a flyer. At two thousand feet in the air the pilot's voice trickled through the intercom. 'Would you like to fly the plane?' he asked. 'Oh yes, please,' I heard my own voice reply. Aghast, my stomach did a handstand as I took the controls. But dear Reader, I lived to tell the tale.


   It was my research trip to Egypt for Shadows on the Nile that turned out to be the cherry on the adventure cake. I was met at Cairo airport by an amiable long-faced man who shook hands with so many people over the next few days while guiding me around the pyramids and the delights of Cairo that you - like me - would probably be thinking how friendly Egyptians are. Until I discovered he was a drug dealer passing his wares and the police came knocking on my hotel door.


   On the same trip the Tahrir Square riots erupted around my ears right next to the hotel and the night sky burst into flames. I watched with open-mouthed horror, convinced my research had finally done for me. Yet only a week later I was aloft in a hot-air balloon floating majestically through an oyster-pink dawn over the somnolent desert at Luxor. A long-held dream come true for me. But suddenly a man's voice shouted from within the wicker basket. 'Crouch! Grab the rope! Don't let go!' I crouched. I grabbed. The balloon was descending much too fast. We hit the ground with an almighty crash and, with the basket tipped on to its side, we were dragged along at speed through a field of bright green sugarcane. I clung ferociously to my grubby piece of rope to stop myself falling and didn't let go.

   So yes, I am still alive and I am planning my next research trip. Another adventure? Bring it on. Where's my wheelie case?

For those yet to read Kate's fantastic historical novels you might like to know you can get a taster right now as GUARDIAN OF LIES is only 99p on Kindle. Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Your research is so much more exciting than mine! The most I do is tramp around town checking where the CCTV cameras are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I must admit that my research trips do ride a rollercoaster! Always full of memories to treasure and to spark new scenes.

      Delete
  2. Kate's research ..... mine is all local too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of adventures! My research is based mainly in Cornwall, but maybe I should try foreign lands! Any excuse for a long break away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There are many more - like in the dark tunnels under Naples or when a single decker bus in the Bahamas had no passengers one Sunday, so it turned itself into my private taxi touring the island for the day. Huge fun. But I’m sure Cornwall is full of adventures and dark secrets!

      Delete
  4. My thoughts entirely, Victoria .... we need to travel far and wide - where shall we go????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Research is great!!
    The trouble is, its too easy to get sidetracked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by, John ... define sidetracked for us!

      Delete
    2. Hi John, research is addictive! Easy to get sucked in and end up with wayyyyy too much material as we explore all the intriguing twists and turns and back alleyways. But it constantly expands my understanding of my chosen subject and setting - that’s what I tell myself anyway!

      Delete
  6. Great post and what exciting research trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kath .... yes, wonderful research trips - we have some very interesting and enlightening writing group meetings!

      Delete
    2. Hi Kath, yes, sometimes the trips have proved to be a bit TOO exciting! But always fascinating and breathtaking in the beauty I see when I go off into strange exotic surroundings.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, Kate could pen a book about her research adventures. The most exotic place I've visited for research was Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rae, Edinburgh is a city I haven’t yet visited, so I envy you that. Everywhere we look around us there are always amazing stories to be found when you start peeling back the surface layers. One of the joys is the people I meet on my trips and the extraordinary tales they have to tell. I feel privileged.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What a collection of wonderful stories you written and experienced through research! Great post. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry Lynn, thanks for your kind comment. Whatever setting I travel to, I always find people and places to inspire me and to keep me wanting to dig deeper. I fall in love with each new location and try to convey this passion in each book.

      Delete