Saturday 3 March 2018

How I became 'the chap from the Gazette.'







I had two goals as I was growing up: to be a journalist and to write a book. It took me fifty years to become an  'overnight success' but not long to gain a sense of humour. If only I'd been a boy...

I was born on Christmas Eve in a post-war maternity hospital on the tiny Channel Island of Guernsey. My father wanted to call me David –  until he set eyes on my new pink bonnet. That’s when his dream of having a son to follow in his footsteps as a football journalist came to an abrupt end. Growing up with my two sisters, the house was always full of books and newspapers which we were always encouraged to read. By now we were living in Leicester where Dad had started his own a football magazine.

Very early one Saturday morning, we drove to Middlesbrough Football Club where Dad left me in the middle of the deserted football stadium. ‘Get me three stories – from the fans – from anywhere,’ he said, ‘but just get them!’  Somehow I did it.  I finally had a goal.
I left  school  one cold Friday afternoon and started work the following Monday as a cub reporter on the Blackpool  Evening Gazette and Lytham St Annes Express.  This was the 1960s when female journalists were supposed to look good, say little and write about cookery and fashion.  None of these applied to me!

My first big assignment was at Blackpool’s Winter Gardens when the Labour Party Conference came to town.  Joining the crowds outside the main entrance, I searched for the party’s PR man. ‘Mr Griffin,’ I yelled, spotting him at last. ‘Can I have a word?’

‘Not now,’ he barked. ‘I’m waiting for the chap from the Gazette.’
I am the chap from the Gazette,’ I replied.
After two years as a general reporter I  began writing  women's features. I was fanatical about equality in the workplace, interviewing women solicitors, scientists magistrates – and even the first local female bus driver – to champion women’s rights. Cookery and fashion  were banished to the bottom of the page.

By now married with two daughters I set my sights on the women's glossy magazines. My breakthrough came with  a humorous piece about travelling salesmen The men I’ve had on my Doorstep in the (now defunct )Woman's World. Other work  followed. After my father retired he asked me to write the  story of  his life in football, on and off the pitch.  A labour of love, The Perfect Match  became my first unpublished novel. A few years later I joined a newly formed writers group in Lancashire. Eight of us met to critique each other’s work-in-progress, sometimes with brutally honest feedback. A second novel was  rejected but I carried on writing.

My next project, a time slip romance about a cub reporter’s search for her GI father, was shortlisted for the Festival of Romance New Talent Award in 2013. As I’d passed the big 6-0, the irony of ‘new talent’ was not lost on me. Though I didn’t win the award, my debut novel Baggy Pants and Bootees was born. A publishing contract with a small independent company followed. 

My second historical romance, Occupying Love, set in the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War Two, was inspired by my paternal grandparents, whose  Guernsey home was requisitioned by the Nazis in 1940.  Seeing it featured in the Guernsey Press made the long years of waiting worthwhile.  I live with my husband in the North of England but I'll always be a Guernsey girl at heart.

Success at last!



9 comments:

  1. Great to have you part of the Novel Points of View blog, Marilyn. Good for you for fighting against the 60's stereotype of a reporter. They talk about the swinging 60's, but it was only "swinging" compared to what went on before. When compared to today, there was still a huge devide between men and women and what was expected from a woman in the workplace and at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Victoria - it's great to be here. Thank you for making me welcome. I often read about women who feel they're not equal in today's workplace and I wonder how they would have coped in the sixties. In those days a woman who complained would soon find herself with no job at all. Have we made progress? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marilyn and welcome to the gang of seven. Great blog and sad to say I think there are still jobs where women think twice about complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And sadly, Jennie, they are probably the ones who really need help. Thanks for the welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very warm welcome, Marilyn and well done on fighting prejudice in the workplace and also in following your dreams of becoming first a journalist, then a novelist. It seems the route to the publication of that first novel rarely goes smoothly and your journey is such an encouraging one for everyone still scribbling away, hoping to achieve their dream - including me! Welcome aboard. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that was a lovely 'nose' into your life, Marilyn. Welcome to the novpov gang. Great first post. I have also done journalism and found that having written fiction first it helped give my articles flow, and then having written articles I found that helped me sharpen my fiction writing ..... win win! Do you find that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your way is best, Linda. There is a school of thought that says all journalists want to write a book just to prove that they can do it! It doesn't mean we do it well! I still think like a journalist (hence my Daily Mail-style headings!) but becoming an author was my ultimate goal. I still have a lot to learn. Never give up, Rae Cowie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating blog, thanks for sharing your experiences. And, hopefully, because of people like you, it'll be easier for female journalists of the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder what the future holds for newspapers, Gillian? I'd like to think there would be a revival of interest, particularly in villages where they can hold the community together. Or maybe all the news will be streamed to our mobiles instead!

    ReplyDelete