Monday 21 March 2022

A WRITER'S MORAL COMPASS

Picture the scene ... for a writing exercise given by my writing group we were asked to write the opening pages of a novel set in war time. No specific war was given. It didn't have to be a romance. I prefer to call my books relationship novels but there will almost always be a romance in there somewhere. I chose WW2. I'd never written an historical before. I didn't know that I wanted to but I set to with the exercise with absolutely no view to publication. I used multiple viewpoints, often within the same paragraph - think Maeve Binchey. I live not far from Slapton where that village, and many surrounding ones, was requisitioned to billet American soldiers in the practice for D Day.
I also live not far from Plymouth which had its own Blitz ... a Canadian uncle was there as part of the demolition team. So, you see, I had a fair bit of background to go on. I read a couple of wartime romances (which I don't normally read) before I began, just go get the gist of how it's done. I didn't stop at a few pages. I wrote three chapters. A member of the writing group I go to is a Times Best Seller novelist. She asked if she could show it to her agent. A top agent, as it happens - well, THE top agent. Said agent asked to meet me in London. So off I went. It was obvious during our afternoon tea that she would be happy to represent me. She talked about a series. She told me where she wanted the series set. I came back home slightly shell-shocked. I told my dad. He went very quiet. 'Your granny didn't find war romantic, love,' he said. His own father had perished in WW1, although he came through WW2 himself unscathed. That pricked my conscience if you like. As we all watch the war in Ukraine in more or less real time the sheer horror of it is hitting me all over again. I have absolutely nothing against anyone who chooses to write, or read, wartime sagas but I knew I just couldn't do it then, and I can't do it now. No doubt there is someone, somewhere, already penning a novel set during the current war in Ukraine.
So, the upshot is that although I would probably have made a shedload of money out of writing wartime sagas, I declined - as gracefully as I could - the agent's representation. Possibly, it is the biggest writing-related error I could ever make, although she left it open should I ever change my mind. At the end of the day we must all write what we feel comfortable with and thank our lucky stars we live in a country where we are still able to do that.

8 comments:

  1. I understand your reluctance, Linda. I felt the same when I wrote my WW1 Christmas novella, A Daughter's Christmas Wish. However, I used information directly from the officer's diaries and movement records during that period to describe my hero's war experience... so in my mind I was simply retelling the truth and delivering it to a new generation through an accessible route, romantic fiction. Even how they spent Christmas day is historically accurate for that particular date. It was important for me to get it right as both my grandfather's fought in the war, one of which was in that particular infantry division.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't worrying about being historically accurate (which, of course, I would have been), but that I felt somehow I was trampling on my granny's experience and loss. Just me ... as I said, we must all do what we are comfortable with. Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. I agree that an author must write what they are moved to write, Linda. For some writing and reading are an escape, for others they are a way of making sense of a sometimes difficult to comprehend world. Carrie's War by Nina Bawden was one of my favourite books as a child. Did I fully understand the difficulties and fears that refugee children faced? - No. But it did make me very grateful to be growing up during decades when peace prevailed. I'm just desperately saddened that Ukrainian families are being separated, when we hoped such stories would forever remain between the pages of history books... Victoria, I have read A Daughter's Christmas Wish and you handle wartime experience beautifully, with both realism and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I have had the best of it. OK, so there was rationing for me as a small child but I never went hungry. My husband and I often say we really did have the best of it .... good education, a home (often council house homes), and food. And peace.

      Delete
  3. In these days we all seem to need to tread with a VERY light footprint. I do find it amusing (and a little scary) that the WW2 era is now considered "Historical"! Thats almost me!! I was a post-war baby boomer!

    You must "tell your tale" but sometimes it can be so hard to keep what you feel is a suitable distance from those you know well, or who are "family".
    Nice piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, John .... I am baby boomer proper. I remember when I told my dad I was going to be learning German at school and he nearly exploded. 'German! German! Oh no, you're not, I spent six years fighting them off!'. I did, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, I missed seeing this when it first went up! I have similar feelings about stories set during wartime. I will read ones written by friends, but it's not a go-to genre for me. Too many complicated considerations although it very much depends which viewpoint a story is written from. Anything that glorifies war is not going to be for me. For what it's worth, I would have made the same choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt a need to write about my grandparents'harrowing experiences during the German Occupation of Guernsey because they had told me so much about it when I was growing up. By the time I'd finished writing my novel I almost felt as if I'd lived through the war years myself. My 12-year-old granddaughter has a copy of the bookand I hope she will learn about her ancestors' lives when she is ready.

    ReplyDelete