Sunday 5 September 2021

A WRITER'S WRITER - MY MEMORIES OF JANE

Last weekend I was given the saddest news that Jane Wenham-Jones - novelist, short story writer, journalist, and so very much more - had lost her battle with cancer. I first met Jane in the mid 1990s when we shared a short story agent, Midland Exposure. Through the publisher, Accent Press, we both contributed to the Sexy Shorts Antholgies, raising funds for Cancer Research. There can be few people today who belong to the Romantic Novelists' Association and have attended conferences or prize-givings, or who read Writing Magazine, and newspapers in Jane's neck of the woods, who haven't heard of her, or be lucky enough to know her. So those people will know what I mean when I say she lit up a room. Yes, she was fond of colour in her hair - and the more the merrier - and loved a chunky necklance but it was more than that. Jane was a real 'people' person. Her personality shone through. She was generous with her time, a writing mentor to many. When Jane asked if I could offer any writing tips when she was writing WANNABE A WRITER I sent in a few. She used all of them, and was generous to me in her introduction to them. I don't remember all I said apart from suggesting aspiring writers think to get their teeth seen to (if needed) in readiness for the photo shoots for the author profiles that would appear in their books. (If only I'd taken my own advice!) To promote that book Jane came down to Devon and gave a couple of talks about her writing life, peppering them with anecdotes from her every day life. She was a brilliant speaker - and all without notes. Always funny. But never at anyone else's expense. One tale she told that sticks in my mind is the time she was a landlady and a tenant was behind with the rent. So round she went to see why and when the monies might appear. When she peered through the letterbox there was an almighty stench. A body? She wasn't going in, taking any chances. She called the police who found that the tenant had filled the freezer with pork chops, pulled the plug, and left. Can you imagine? And apologies if you're reading this eating supper. Back in the day, before writing a novel had ever entered my head, Jane and I often had short stories in the same magazine. One of those times was a Special issue of Woman's Weekly. Jane got in touch to say how much she had loved my (longish) short story. 'A lot of people are perfectly good writers, but not everyone has 'got it'. You, Linda, have 'got it'.' I said she was generous. Fan mail of the highest order. I last saw Jane at - of all places - a funeral. She came down to Devon to give the eulogy at the funeral of a mutual writing friend. I knew she was ill then, but she was the same irrepresible Jane, always asking after others, always thinking of others. Always with a smile.
Jane's last book, OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, was published just a few weeks ago. I don't know what Jane's beliefs were. I don't know what yours are. I know only what my own non-beliefs are. Yet there's a part of me that hopes beyond hope that she might be up there leading a few angels astray, sharing a bottle of wine. And, perhaps, colouring their hair ... red, green, blue, turquoise ... whatever. Sleep well, lovely Jane. I will miss you.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Linda. I didn't know Jane personally, but was fortunate to hear her speak at RNA events, when her vitality and warmth shone through. Thinking of you and the loss of your dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A vital spark and a lively presence at almost every RNA event that I have ever attended.
    She will so be missed by all who knew her. A force of nature, and really nice with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could be the life and soul but was never in your face, was she? And when she was talking to you - even in a crowded room - she made you feel as though you were the only person in the world she wanted to be with at that time. We meet so few wonderful people like that in a lifetime, but aren't we blessed when we do!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written. So sorry for your loss. Jane sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was wacky, witty, and wonderful ... a force of nature - an energy giver not an energy taker. She truly will be missed by so many.

      Delete
  4. I read Old Enough to Know better as soon as I heard the sad news. A great book, as always, and a tribute to Jane's courage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's lovely. I've just ordered it and it's due to be delivered very soon. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tribute, Linda. I wish I knew her, she sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Linda. Jane was one of the first "real writers" I met, way back when I did a one-day story writing workshop. She was brilliant. After that I saw her a few times at RNA events and our publisher's party in summer 2019, at which we cooked up an idea to fill one of her columns in a writing magazine.
    She was warm and funny and immensely talented and is a huge loss to the writing world. I have just unpacked some boxes of books and come across her Wannabe a Writer books. They were so inspirational when I was starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realise now just how privileged I was to have been asked to be part of Wannabe. And her last book, Old Enough to Know Better, has just been delivered by Amazon. There may be tears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, I need to say a big thank you. Everyone who met Jane loved her. Your tribute was spot on and brought back so many lovely memories of spending time with her. As you said, she was one of the most generous people I've met, giving not only her time but love. God bless you Jane and thank you Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so lovely of you, Carole, to pop by and comment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete