Saturday 2 January 2021

A WRITING JOURNEY BACK THROUGH TIME

I didn't set out to become a novelist, although now with nine published novels under my belt - and five more written, three of which are pending publication - I think I can call myself that without having to stretch the truth too much.
Novel publication came about for me after writing serials for My Weekly. The last - commissioned - serial I wrote elicited this comment from my lovely editor,Jean - 'You do realise don't you, Linda, that this serial is a terrible waste of what could be a very fine novel.' Could it? Well, with a few tweaks and a change of setting, and a few name changes as well, that's what happened. But serial writing, in the first place, only came about after I'd written rather a lot of short stories - stories which seemed to get longer and longer and longer for some publications who pay by the finished product regardless of how many words there are. 2020 was a truly terrible year for almost everyone but it ended on a writing high for me with not one, but two short stories out in December.
And now I'm going to take a step further back. Short stories only happened for me after I'd been writing articles on the Arts for various publications. Not that I knew anything about Art but I have a friend who knows everyting. And not that I ever intended to write said articles in the first place. My (sorta) daughter-in-law (Elisabeth Hadley) is a sculptor and she needed a bit of publicity for a mermaid sculpture she'd been commissioned to make for a private customer in Dartmouth. She knew I liked shooting off the odd rant to newspapers (more later) about this and that so asked if I could write something. So I did. I sent it to Devon Life and because it was such a good story (the statue is sited on a private jetty but just about the first thing sailors see when they enter the Dart from the sea and has become a well-known landmark)they took it, as they did the sixty or so articles I wrote that followed.
So this has taken us back to those 'Angry from Paignton' letters that started it all. It didn't take me long to work out that newspapers and magazines would pay handsomely for some things. I diluted the anger a bit and started sending in short, but to the point, pieces about all sorts of things - gardening, living in a seaside holiday town, my son joining the Cubs, riding pillion on my husband's vintage motorcycles.
So, perhaps the urge to write had always been there. I just needed a vehicle, a reason, to write - permission of a sort. Over the years I've found that writing articles and features has taught me to be precise, to cut the waffle, in my novel-writing. And that if there is a short story word limit I keep pretty much to it. Spot on. All the people I've met and written about for said articles and features - where they live, what they do, their stories - have provided some very interesting settings for my fiction. Each has facilitated the other. When fiction writing was in the doldrums I picked up my non-fiction pen again. And when fiction took off for me again, article and feature writing took a back seat for a while. Covid has put me in the novel-writing doldrums. Time, then, for an article or two?

14 comments:

  1. I've been fascinated by your writing career, Linda, from the minute we virtually 'met.' I was a journalist desperate to write a book and you were a novelist with a world of writing experience. You encouraged me to write my first novel, and that I wilk never forget. Not only do you have tenacity and determination, but it seems nothing will deter you from reaching your goals. Your ability to write is a given, but your belief in your own ability should be bottled and handed out to every single aspiring novelist. We still haven't met, but I look forward to the day when we finally do. In the neantime, here's to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Guernsey Girl, that is just so very lovely to hear. Thank you very much. Tenacity and determination are much nice words than have been used about me before ... bloody-minded springs to mind! I think Covid dictates that we must meet when we can, eh?

      Delete
  2. ps - please forgive the typos - this was written with one finger on my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought that writing for either magazine articles, short stories or novels require very different skills and requirements, but I hadn't realised the different skills and requirements for one discipline can benefit the other. Every experience teaches one something and I think this interesting post about your writing career proves that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh yes, Victoria .... each informs the other somehow. Not that I consciously did any of them for that reason ... it's just - for me - life.

      Delete
  4. I love reading about how people got into writing, and this is an excellent route. You seem to have mastered every genre as you've progressed. Poetry next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry? Never! Now that I am just not clever enough for!

      Delete
  5. As already said, you tenacity is inspirational, Linda ... and your facility for writing whatever is required. Wish I was blessed with the same talent combined with pragmatism. What I did have, like you, was a moment when I gave myself *permission* to write. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is the crux of it, Gilli ... telling ourselves we are good enough. Thanks so much for popping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful career you have! I respect your ability to go back and forth between fiction and non-fiction. Isn't this writing gig crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh Linda, I wish I'd read this post years ago. Your enthusiasm and determination to tackle all sorts of writing shines through. An inspiring post to kick off the new year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it so interesting to hear how people got into writing! Great post!

    ReplyDelete