Sunday 27 September 2020

LIFE BEFORE GOODREADS...



Recently, on Twitter, I noticed the hashtag #Goodreads trending and was surprised to discover a debate raging about the pros and cons of the site. For those yet to discover Goodreads, it is a social media platform established in 2007 for book lovers to catalogue, share and review books. Today it is owned by Amazon and is the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations.



Back to the debate, and though some readers confessed to finding the platform clunky to navigate, for the most part bookworms seemed happy with what Goodreads has to offer. They find it informative (number of pages per book, genre, release dates), great for goal setting (e.g. committing to reading X number of books per year), a useful way of finding new authors, as well as a practical way of tracking books read.


Conversely, authors expressed frustration with the Goodreads star rating system, complaining that it is a blunt instrument only offering an overall rating for a book, rather than for specific elements of writing - character development, setting, dialogue, pace etc...


I have been a member of Goodreads since August 2014 but confess to mostly using it to note books reads and discover new authors/reads, rather than using it to engage with other bookworms. And this got me thinking about life before Goodreads and the notebook I used, and still use, to log my reading.

Years ago, during a rainy afternoon spent with my Granny, I began rummaging in her cupboards to help pass the time and came across an empty jotter with an index running down one side. There is a crown on the front and is says Supplied for Public Service HMSO Code 28-610. Granny had no idea where it came from. I asked if I could keep it to record books read and being at that stage in life when she was considering downsizing, she was grateful to have it taken off her hands. I can't remember if I began using it immediately, but the first entries date back to 1988 when I was still working my way through Agatha Christie and Maeve Binchy, before moving on to my John Grisham phase. A quick Google search reveals that HMSO stood for Her Majesty's Stationery Office.


As I flick through the notebook, the books I've read are like old friends reminding me of days spent on beach loungers in my twenties; time off work due to a small operation on my foot; many many hours plonked on the sofa breast-feeding. The memories roll on.


Last Sunday, as I settled to watch the TV adaptation of David Nicholls brilliant novel, Us, only a couple of minutes in and I was certain I'd read it. A quick check of Granny's notebook and there was the proof - finished reading Us on 20th April, 2015.


I have no problem with Goodreads, but will never give up on my precious notebook, as it's a link to my lovely, patient Granny, who not only spent endless hours listening to my stories but also encouraged me to write.

So, do you keep a record of books read? And if so, how? Do you love (or detest) Goodreads?

Until next time, whichever books you choose - happy reading!

Rae x




 




14 comments:

  1. I have now 21 notebooks. One for each year I have recorded my reading. They are among my most prized personal possessions for all the reasons you state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's fantastic, Anne. Do you review each book? I wish I'd started reviewing years ago because there are some titles I have no recollection of reading, never mind what I thought of them.

      Delete
  2. If I could go back and have a word with my teenage self, I'd advise filling in a notebook like this. Sadly, I didn't. For a while I blogged brief notes about books I'd read but then stopped that too. Now, other than Amazon reviews for most (but not all books) I don't note down what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't stumbled across that particular notebook, I don't think I would have kept a record, Kath. Amazon reviews are also a great way of keeping track (and the author will be grateful too : )).

      Delete
  3. Like Kathleen, I don't record what I've read either. On hindsight I wish I had done so and might change my ways in 2021. But your notebook is a treasure! And you also have really lovely penmanship. Thanks for sharing this with us, Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thank you, Terry. I used to have lovely penmanship but sadly my writing has deteriorated terribly over the years, which is why I became interested in calligraphy. I do love beautiful lettering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. It's always lovely to come across something which you remember writing and evokes the memories of that time. It is like a time capsule, where you can revisit the younger you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I'd started earlier than 1988! : )

      Delete
  6. I used to record everything in the back of my dairy. Now I have lovely little notebook. I record a few things on apps, but I'd never think of doing it for books. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was young most years I began keeping a daily diary and if I was lucky I made it through January. I gave up trying a long time. The book diary is the only one I've been able to maintain.

      Delete
  7. My goodness! How organised you are! I've been know to pick up a book a second time from a charity shop, quite forgetting I'd read it before. Actually, as I'm amongst friends, I've even bought something a third time ... oh dear. I really do need a system that's more efficient than my brain, don't I? Goodreads? I'm one of those who finds it hard to navigate ... nothing new there for this Luddite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a saint in that respect either, Linda. A number of times I've set out to purchase a kindle book from Amazon, only to be reminded I already have it in my library... oops!

      Delete
  8. I've kept a note of books read for the last five years or so but so wish I'd started when I was about seven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, Rae! I've kept a note in an old address book since the end of 2014 when I started it was just to give me some sort of a system so I could check if I'd read a book before but like others here, I have found myself buying the same book twice! I use GoodReads too now - I think it was you who told me about it!
    Love your Granny's notebook, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete