Saturday 11 July 2020

The Joy of Books (Post-Lockdown!)

It fell to me to write the first lockdown post here on Novel Points of View, and it falls to me to write the first (individual one) since lockdown ended. And here I am, musing on the literary lessons I’ve learned. Now I’m in a position to say the thing I missed most over the past few months: it’s bookshops.

Of course I haven’t been short of books. I’ve read a lot of them and somehow seem to have acquired a whole lot more. But we could drink during lockdown and yet people flock to pubs; we could watch sport during lockdown but really, it isn’t the same without the fans. And so it is with books.

I was probably in bookshops a couple of times a week in the days BL (Before Lockdown). I would head to them if I had time in hand, or to kill, or just if I wasn’t in a hurry. I rarely went in with a specific book in mind. I would browse and almost always buy. 

In theory you can browse online, too, but even Amazon’s look inside facility is limited and my experience of bookshop websites is very much that they’re geared to a search for a specific book. I continued my downloading habit but I really missed the delightful perplexity of being confronted by rows and rows and rows of books, only to have one jump out and beg me to buy it and read it. 

So, when lockdown lifted I was right in there. I prefer independent bookshops and, alas, they aren’t adapted to Covid-safe procedures in the way that, say, supermarkets are. Any one-way system will stall when someone wants to spend time staring at a shelf, not to mention the tinge of guilt associated with picking something up if you aren’t going to buy. Maybe I’m a little bit too much of stickler for the rules, but during lockdown I bought a lot of things I didn’t really want because I’d picked them up thinking they were something else (kidney beans in a spicy sauce rather than plain, for example). 

In bookshops I get round the pick-up-and-look problem by excessive hand sanitising, although the in-shelf browsing is a little more difficult. Social distancing just isn’t possible, and though keeping your face covered obviously helps, it’s still a bit awkward having people shuffle past in a confined space (or, indeed, being the one doing the shuffling). 

This, then, is the new normal, one we’re all going to have to live with. And for the pleasure of browsing a bookshop…I can do it.

12 comments:

  1. I've bought loads of books during lockdown - ebooks and paper books, mostly from Amazon. There are no bookshops very local to me. I do love to browse in bookshops but they're so tempting - I would buy far too many so I try not to go in very often anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've purchased loads of books too, but I only read on Kindle these days due to wrist issues. But now my library has e-books so yay! But bookshops will always have a special place in my heart.

      Delete
    2. I love my Kindle. Don't get me wrong. But browsing a bookshop is such a pleasure. I really missed it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you purchase the books in the picture? That's a nice haul! Curious about The Woman in the Wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I bought this lot. The Woman in the Wardrobe is one of a series of British crime classics that have been republished - mainly dating back to between the wars. They're great.

      Delete
  4. The shops on the high street need all the customers they can get at the moment... and the best thing about this type of "helping out" is that by using our local bookshops we are also treating for ourselves or for those we are buying for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helping out...that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

      Delete
  5. I've bought loads of ebooks during lockdown and several physical books too but agree there is nothing quite like being surrounded by potential reads. Well done, Jennifer, banging the drum for bookshops. Think you have persuaded me that they are a great place to start, once I pluck up the courage to do some non-essential shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels a bit less scary with masks on.

      Delete
  6. An eye-opening post for me because I realise I must be a disgrace to my profession -I didn't miss browsing in bookshops (although it's the shelves in charity shops where I've bought most books recently as we no longer have a bookshop here)during lockdown and I only bought one (written by a friend) online, and that was a paperback. I lost the passion for writing for a while, and reading went with that by association. I filled the days though .... walking (from the house, one hour a day, away from people) and gardening and generally putting my house in order, as it were. Just sitting in the garden in the sunshine listening to the birds was like a holiday. I'm still not brave enough to face the high street ... I have a medical condition that means I have to be very careful. I don't think I'll be going anytime soon but ... oh, it is something to so look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I read a lot but didn't write.

      Delete