Saturday 23 May 2020

THE ONE STAR AND TWO STAR REVIEWS ..... REVIEWED. Linda Mitchelmore

There's nothing like a pandemic, I'm beginning to find, for putting those irksome moments in life into perspective. Take the one star and two star reviews. I've had a few. Sometimes I take a look on Amazon for really big names to see if they are similarly afflicted. They are. Some of them are truly terrible. But they write on. Which is what I've done. However .... Jenny on Lancashire Border had this to say about my first published novel, TO TURN FULL CIRCLE, giving it one star. 'I am seriously puzzled as to where all the 4 and 5 stars come from? After one and a bit chapters I was so bored I almost hovered (sic) the stairs - me, a life-long bookworm. My fault for downloading cheap. You get what you pay for.'
EMMA: THERE'S NO TURNING BACK was the sequel. Juliet romeo gave me a glowing 2 star review and a single word critique - boring.
EMMA AND HER DAUGHTER completed the trilogy. Nothing less than a four star review for this one, so maybe I was writing better or I had my fans.
And now my favoourite ... RED IS FOR RUBIES - the one I enjoyed writing the most and the one for which I got good reviews, and nothing less than 3 stars. It only came out in ebook form and audio and I'd dearly love to see this one in paperback some day.
I was then asked to write a novella. And HOPE FOR HANNAH came into being. Someone calling him- or herself, Eh, gave me a 1 star review. 'Nice surprising twist but plot is undeveloped. Ending was pleasing antagonist seemed to have the happiest ending despite being portrayed as a terrible person'.
This was followed by GRAND DESIGNS - this one, incidentally, was my biggest seller when I was writing for Choc Lit. But this is what J Durham's two star review had to say. 'This is so light it makes an old Mills and Boon look like an epic'.
A change of publisher now and my first with HarperCollins. SUMMER AT 23 THE STRAND. Someone called janey was 'so disappointed did not know it was all very short stories. When I buy a book I want a full story'. She gave me two stars anyway. Well, hey ho, it said on the blurb exactly what it was. This was followed by CHRISTMAS AT STRAND HOUSE which had no reviews lower than 3 stars. And then summer came round again and THE LITTLE B&B AT COVE END hit the shelves. A 2 star from someone called Linda (always hated the name even though it's my own) said, 'Quite enjoyable, an easy read, with some irritations.
All the grammatical errors in the reviews and the lack of upper case letters for names are as they appear on Amazon. A damning review could quite easily put a writer off ever putting pen to paper again. I think I was lucky that my first two star review for my first book was so funny in its way. Sometimes, in idle moments, Jenny's words will come back to me and in my mind's eye I see her 'hovering' the stairs. So .... do one and two star reviews seriously knock you back or do you just shrug, do that British thing, and carry on?

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a traumatic read!

    A bad review puts me out for a day, but so far I've always bounced back. I recently had a one star review on the grounds that my books failed the Bechdel Test. (Which, by the way, it doesn't, but maybe that's a blog for when I'm feeling brave!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang on in there .... as my dear old dad once said, 'It's only one person's opinion, love.'

      Delete
  2. This post is the literary equivalent of shining light on the dark. I love it and you were very brave to share. Reviews are the necessary evil of this job, and the Amazon review system is a free for all madhouse. I once had a one-star review because my book wasn't a toaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! To be totally fair to the reviewer, they are right, your book is not a toaster.

      Delete
    2. Strangely, they've never really hurt me, these rotten reviews. What hurts more is to be blanked in person which has happened a few times ... never been told why. So, that's you and me, Terry, at the mercy of Amazon's lousy shipping policy!

      Delete
  3. They used to sting, but these days I know I get a lot more 4 and 5 star reviews than anything else, and I know I have fans who like my books, so yah boo sucks to the people who feel the need to write bad reviews. You do need a thick skin to be a writer, it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your attitude, Linda. I'm sure there will be many writers who will find comfort in your post because despite being the author of many traditionally published books and short stories, your work still receives the odd review you would rather not have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As do some seriously big names .... as I said. If you have an idel moment go scan a few .... :) They'll make you feel heaps better to know you're not the only one - not that I wish rotten reviews on anyone but you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds as though your Dad did an excellent job of preparing you for an author's life, Linda, enabling you to take the odd rough review on the chin and carrying on. Authors Gillian McAllister and Holly Seddon always begin their Honest Authors Podcast with a tongue-in-cheek reading of their 1 and 2 star reviews. Appears to be the best way to deal with them. Well done you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, my dad was full of good sense. I remember him dragging me kicking and screaming, aged fifteen or so, to go to nightschool to learn shorthand and typing - I went to a Grammar School that didn't teach those things. 'You'll be glad I did one day,' he said over and over when I protested. And I am! He also wanted me to learn hairdressing because, as he said, 'You'll never be short of a bob if you can cut hair'. He was right, but I never did learn to cut hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever think about what will be the reader's first impressions when they read your book? and what are you trying to tell the audience by your book? If you didn't give much thought about it. Don't worry Gracepoint publishing is here for you. We do the policy work of your book and create a bond between you and your audience. self-help book publisher

    ReplyDelete