Saturday 15 February 2020

Calligraphy For Beginners


Calligraphy For Beginners


This week’s post is about writing but not in the usual creative sense, rather the physical act of writing. At school, I was praised for producing neat work but over the years, as I use the computer more, my writing has become such a scrawl that even I struggle to read it! However, just before Christmas I had the opportunity to tick a wish off my bucket list – to attend a Calligraphy workshop.

All ready and waiting for me at Jenni Liandu's calligraphy workshop


CALLIGRAPHY VERSUS HAND-LETTERING


But what exactly is calligraphy?
Calligraphy, which is thought to have originated in China, is the art of producing decorative writing. Not to be confused with hand-lettering, which is a separate distinct art-form, where individual letters are drawn rather than written.

WHAT HAPPENS AT A CALLIGRAPHY CLASS?


My first surprise was that before we even lifted a pen, our teacher, Jenni Liandu, explained why the correct positioning of both arms and feet are important, so the scribe feels both grounded and relaxed. Who knew that posture was so important when writing? Next, we had to get to grips with exactly where our paper should sit on the table. It took me several attempts before I found the elusive ‘sweet spot’.

Then we were introduced to the penholder and nib, with its tines and vent. We tried our hand at light upstrokes and heavy downstrokes. It turns out calligraphy has a whole language of its own, which I loved.



WHO WAS THERE?


The participants at Jenni Liandu's beginner’s workshop were all female, however a quick Google search of top calligraphers shows that men love calligraphy too. There were a number of my fellow learners interested in completing Christmas craft projects, as well as a soon-to-be bride and her friend who planned on writing invitations and place cards. Most attending the class were newbies, although a couple of ladies were enjoying a refresher.

WHAT DID I LEARN?


Calligraphy requires patience, as it must be practiced slowly. It demands complete concentration. There was no space left to worry about my growing Christmas to-do list. There’s a meditative quality to thoughtfully creating letters, rather than dashing out an illegible scribble.

And who could resist these pretty penholders?


TRADITIONAL VERSUS MODERN CALLIGRAPHY

In traditional calligraphy, the scribe is bound by rules dictating that each letter must sit neatly on a line. Whereas the feel of modern calligraphy, the technique Jenni taught us, is much freer, allowing the writer to be imaginative when developing their style.

A colourful selection of inks to buy. I fell in love with Rose Gold!

WHERE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT CALLIGRAPHY?


Watching You Tube tutorials can be a great introduction to calligraphy when deciding whether or not it is something you wish to try.

Also, I was delighted to receive a copy of Kirsten Burke’s Secrets Of Modern Calligraphy as a Christmas gift which, as well as having lined pages to practice on, also has handy QR codes with links to helpful video tutorials. However, I would still recommend attending a workshop or class, if you can.

Kirsten Burke's - Secrets of Modern Calligraphy


I hope you have enjoyed this peek into the world of calligraphy but now I must rush … off to my practice session!

Happy writing!
Rae x

11 comments:

  1. Now you need to post up some examples of your work! I had a go at calligraphy years ago, didn't really have the patience for it but I do love to see beautifully written invitations or posters etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still very much a beginner, Kath, practicing single letters and tentatively creating short sounds. Practice is key. I can't picture myself writing invitations (I would take too long) but I am enjoying learning, as there is much more to calligraphy than I first imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Rae. I have developed lazy handwriting and need to brush up on my lettering. This is a timely reminder to take more care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attending the class really helped, Victoria as it forced me to slow down. It's also lovely to learn something new.

      Delete
  4. I loved reading about this .... I would imagine calligraphy also has the ability to make you be in the moment ... wellness and all that before the term became popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Linda. I don't regard myself as an artistic person (would never consider drawing or painting) but there's something hugely satisfying about a line of pretty letters on a page.

      Delete
    2. I often toy with the idea of handwriting a novel, just because putting a pen to paper is so different on the brain. But then the deadline looms...

      Delete
  5. This is really fascinating. I had a go at calligraphy once but I wasn't properly taught (well, a how-to book isn't proper teaching, is it?) and I think that made a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also given a calligraphy set of felt tip pens several Christmases ago but with no real instructions to go with it... so it languished in a drawer. Jenni also runs classes in Dundee, South Queensferry and Aberfeldy, with details on her website.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post! Do you need a series of pens or can you just use one? Calligraphy is so beautiful to look at, I'm not surprised that it's meditative to practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One pen and nib is enough, Terry, although you may like to try different coloured ink. Are there classes locally?

      Delete