Sunday 8 December 2019

ALL PRESENT AND CORRECT .............................. LINDA MITCHELMORE

Well, it's that time of year when most of us are knee deep in wrapping paper and ribbons and glitter and sticky labels, and decorations, and exhausting ourselves blowing up balloons.
And it got me thinking. I've had more than a few short stories published that were inspired by presents. The good ones and the bad ones. And once, not even getting one at all. On a personal front, my husband and I (sounds regal but just a three bed-semi, not Buck House)stopped buying gifts for one another on birthdays and at Christmas a long time ago. Not my decision, I hasten to add but it took the sting out of not getting anything when I knew my husband wasn't going to be getting anything either. And, of course, there was the shivery memory of the microwave that was the gift he thought I'd been gagging for one year - the story I wrote around that sold in four countries .... more than enough to buy myself a deccent leather handbag. And a pair of shoes.
I was once handed a bunch of flowers by a young man outside the railway station as I emerged into the winter gloom, laden down with bags and cases. He just sort of thrust them between the strap of my shoulder bag and my arm as I had no hands free. 'Won't be wanting these now, will I?' he said. It was in the days pre-mobiles so I can only imagine he'd been standing there a long time with his flowers and had been stood up. Stuck for something to write about I dredged up that memory and wrote a story called STOLEN ROSES that will be out in next Christmases My Weekly Annual ... always nice to have a publication to which to look forward, isn't it?
I don't suppose I'm the only writer who has to put on a brave face when they get given yet another pen - as much as I love pens I struggled to put on a brave and enthusiastic just-what-I-wanted face when a bundle of bics turned up!
Now then, it's a bit of a dull time - writing-wise - I always find in the few weeks running up to Christmas. Many of us are full of enthusiasm afterwards with new leaves been turned over and all that but right now we need motivating - well, I do. I've got a few free days and an idea (from a true life situation) that's been rumbling around in the grey matter for some time. The son of a friend of mine - let's call him Henry - had been going out with a girl - let's call her Jessica - for some time and he knew it was time to finish it. But Christmas was coming. There were all sorts of dinners and drinks parties booked in to which they'd been invited as a couple. It would be churlish to finish with her in the run-up to all that, wouldn't it? So, Henry bought a decent but non-commital gift - a leather purse and a bottle of what he knew was her favourite perfume - and wrapped it up. But what did Jessica turn up with on Christmas Eve? Both families all in the know as well. Only a flight ticket to Paris and a booking for three nights in a top hotel. A sort of taster for the honeymoon Jessica was expecting of him. Poor Henry. The present from hell as far as he was concerned. But he went, gent that he is. And .... well, you can probably guess the rest ... Henry and Jessica got the pre-honeymoon baby as well (after Jessica muddled up taking 'the pill' wouldn't you know) in that great city of romance. As I said, it was a while ago, but I've always wanted to write Henry a different outcome to that one. Jessica too, of course ... HAPPY CHRISTMAS

6 comments:

  1. What a surprise/happy (but also sad) moment when you were given flowers by the young, downhearted man at the train station! He must have thought you had a kind, non-judgemental face. I was given a cabbage once out of the blue. Wonder what the giver thought of my facial expression to give me such a random gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ... what did you do with the cabbage? Stuff it? Boil it? Use it for chest poultices?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that your microwave story allowed you to treat yourself, Linda. One present that has very fondly made it into our family folklore was gifted to my brother during the Christmas he longed for a skate board. His delight knew no bounds when he received a parcel from our granny that was large and round, and could only be a skate board helmet - or so he thought. Imagine his face on Christmas morning when he ripped open the wrapping paper to discover a melon! Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A melon? What was she thinking???? Gave me a laugh anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the flower story, even though it was a sad one. I once saw a wrapped bunch of flowers thrust into a bin, so I think there must have been a story there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. My worst presents were (1) a set of precision screwdrivers (I'd asked for bike spanners) and (2) a map and guidebook to Kenya. We had absolutely no plans to go to Kenya but the giver (my brother) said, 'well, you like travelling so I thought it might give you an idea of somewhere to go...'

    ReplyDelete