Saturday 9 November 2019

A Head full of Stories


How many books do you have 'on the go' at one time? How many stories do you need to keep in your head at one time, because you are part way through them?

For me, the answer is usually 'too many' but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reading, I have an 'upstairs book' and a 'downstairs book'. Even when we are away in the motorhome (like now), I have a book I read in bed, usually on my kindle, and another I am reading in spare moments in the day time. Typically the 'upstairs book' is a novel, often written by one of my many writing friends, and the 'downstairs book' is non-fiction, possibly researching my next novel.



Writing, I often have two books on the go. Right now there is the one I am revising in line with my editors comments, and the one I am half way through a first draft of. Beyond that, there are vague ideas beginning to float to the surface for the next novel, and I've brought a couple of research books away in the campervan with me to help get that one started. I also have a notebook with some scribbled ideas for the novel after that...

When you add to this the TV series we've been watching, whose storylines I also need to keep in my head, it's no wonder I get stories muddled at times! Thankfully The Dublin Murders ended just before we left home so I can forget about that one (started well, went weird, unsatisfactory ending). I probably won't catch up with The Name of the Rose (loving this adaptation of one of my favourite books) until we are next home, around Christmas. We've brought a DVD box set of Peaky Blinders to watch on this trip, and will probably get started with that soon.

The Name of the Rose


I know many writers who only ever write one book at a time, and don't start a new one until the previous one has been revised and gone to proof-readers. And some writers refuse to read novels while they are first-drafting a book. Maybe that's a good idea to help keep characters and storylines straight in your mind... but I rather like the jumble of ideas, the mixed-up dreams in which a character from my novel finds herself in a medieval Italian monastery, my head always packed to the brim with plots.

A view inside a writer's brain


How about you? How many storylines are you keeping track of at any one time?

6 comments:

  1. I love the view inside a writer's brain! I print off ideas at varying stages of gestation and lay the sheets of paper on my writing room floor, so I can add to them when inspiration strikes. It also helps me choose which idea I should work on next. I also read three books at one time - the bedtime book, the research day time book and the car/ironing/ chores audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the inside of your head is a bit like mine!

      Delete
  2. I can only concentrate on one book at a time. I think it has more to do with time (I have difficulty fitting in one book to read!) and poor memory (I think I would just get muddled). You must have a sharper brain than me, Kath. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get muddled - have to go back a few pages and remind myself what's happening in whichever book I am reading.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Victoria and can only concentrate on one book at a time .... but you should see my to-be-red pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, mine too! About 30 beside my bed and another 50 or so on the Kindle...

      Delete