Wednesday 18 September 2019

A Piece about Numbers - on a Blog about Words


My son recently graduated with a degree in Drama (gaining a First!), and for his dissertation he had to write, perform, direct and produce a one-man, 40-minute play. Essentially the piece was about an angsty student being counselled by an artificial intelligence psychotherapist (my son's own, recorded, disembodied voice). In one section, he riffs about numbers and how your life is defined by numbers - some which identify you (National Insurance number, phone number); some you wish were bigger (salary, bank balance, IQ); some you might wish were smaller (age, weight).

It got me thinking. Writers deal primarily with words, of course, but we can also find ourselves rather obsessed with certain numbers.

Firstly, word count. I don't think I've met a writer yet who is not obsessed with word count. Many set themselves daily or weekly targets - eg 1000 words a day, 5000 a week - to hit their required novel length of say 90,000 to 100,000. Writers will joyfully report they've had a fabulous day and managed to put down no less than 2,786 words. Or they might moan about writer's block and be advised by friends to just try to get 100 words a day done - there, there, don't fret, it all adds up. Every journey starts with a single step; every novel starts with a single word.

Word processing software helpfully shows word count of the current document at the bottom - look, I've written 243 words so far in this piece. I've been a member of groups 'racing' each other - cheering each other on as we report weekly wordage. Oh yes. We do love tracking our word count.

And then, for published writers and especially those making a living from writing - there's another set of numbers we always want to know. I'm talking about sales figures - both units sold and royalties earned. For most writers we'll need to wait till the end of the month to receive statements showing how well our books sold two months previously, but self-published writers will be able to see more up to date figures, showing sales almost up to the minute. Every end of month I transfer sales figures and royalties earned onto a spreadsheet, which also allows me to track totals by sales period and by book, and calculate average royalty per copy sold, and other interesting, juicy numbers.

Finally there's another number which I think is probably the one published writers check most frequently. I know I do. I'm referring, of course, to our books' rankings - their chart positions on Amazon and other retailers. Especially when we have a new book out, or a book on promotion, we might check its ranking several times a day. Even though we know perfectly well that Amazon only updates rankings no more than once an hour, we'll still check more frequently than that to see if anything's changed!

So, we may be all about putting words onto a page, but we find certain numbers fascinating. We should probably spend more time on the words and less on the numbers, but they're addictive, you know? Anyway. This article is now over 550 words, which is the usual length for our blog posts, so now I can save it and go check my rankings. Again.

11 comments:

  1. Now this one is a bit different and all the better for it. Numbers you say? Hmmm ... when a person I've just met is told I'm a novelist, or asks what I do to earn a crust, their next question is either 'How much do you earn?' or 'How many books?' I never answer the first but it does give me a sort of glow to say I've had nine books published and have almost finished number ten .... ten, a good number that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been a full time writer long enough to get the 'how much do you earn' question! Love telling people I have 8 novels published plus 3 'how to' books. 10 is an excellent number. I am working on novels 9 and 10 in parallel at the moment!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Firstly, many congratulations to your son, Kath. And what an interesting post. It is satisfying to see that word count rise when tapping out the first draft. But I'm curious about how others keep track of their word count after that - on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th draft? When on a recent writing retreat one participant had written 11 first drafts but never attempted editing, simply because she found it easier to meet her 1000 words per day target. Thankfully the weekend focused on editing and she plans on taking the next steps required. - Right, I'm off to share, to help those viewing numbers rise too! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I am editing I stop obsessing about daily word count, and work on numbers of chapters edited instead. Though I do keep an eye on the overall word count to make sure it is staying within target.

      Delete
  3. What a fascinating (and slightly scary) post! At first, of course, I thought none of this applies to me, but yes, I'm obsessed about my word count AND about my sales. Strangely enough, though, I don't obsess about my ranking. I work on the principle that if it's good someone will tell me...and if it's bad, I don't want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obsess more about my rankings when the books are doing well eg on promotion or a new book out! Other than that I try to ignore them, but probably still check on authorcentral daily at least...

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed with your sales record keeping. I'm not great with numbers, I find it difficult to remember my mobile phone number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone numbers are hard to remember! But I do like being able to see how much each book has earned for me etc.

      Delete
  5. I am so useless with numbers - can do basic arithmetic but that's it. I got thrown out of the maths class at school as a lost cause!! I wouldn't know where to start with a spread sheets. Well done Kath.

    ReplyDelete