Saturday 31 August 2019

EDITING IN THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS – Escape to Moniack Mhor


As the days grow shorter, it’s time for some hard-core writing to be done. I have the guts of a novel in place and yet I’d reached a stage where I felt publication might forever be beyond my grasp. The ogre of doubt who leans heavily on my shoulder was growing louder … Your writing’s not good enough. What are you doing? You should find a proper job. What was needed was some focused time, away from family distractions, with others who understand this crazy urge to keep tapping away no matter what. So I set off for Moniack Mhor



WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT MONIACK MHOR?


Located high in the Scottish mountains near Inverness, it’s a writing retreat I’ve been lucky enough to visit a couple of times. Whilst the vistas it offers are awesome (sorry – I’ve spent the summer with teenagers), the peaceful location makes the wider world seem distant, making it easier to concentrate on writing.

The Hobbit House where workshops take place


THE DREAM TEAM


But the main reason I chose this particular retreat was because of the opportunity to learn from two fabulous tutors. Nathan Filer’s debut novel, The Shock of the Fall, became an award-winning bestseller. A multi-talented writer, he also tutors at Bath Spa University.  His latest non-fiction book, The Heartland: Finding and LosingSchizophrenia, quashes myths, offering a fresh perspective on mental health.

Whilst Francesca Main, editor and associate publisher with a list of bestselling fiction and non-fiction titles at Picador - including Jessie Burton’s The Miniaturist, Adam Kay’s This is Going to Hurt, as well as Dear Mrs Bird by A J Pearce – was someone I knew I would learn from.

Nathan Filer and Francesca Main - our tutors - the Dream Team


WHAT DID WE DO?


The weekend opened with some meditation before we moved outdoors to write a personal reflective piece. Being a part-time yogi (I practice when I remember), I loved that mediation could help writers, or anyone, access thoughts that might otherwise remain stubbornly out of reach. It’s definitely a practice I will use again.

The next two days followed a set pattern, optional workshops in the morning examining character and structure, followed by one-to-one tutor feedback with time to write in the afternoon.

The quirky inside of the Hobbit House


READY, STEADY ... COOK


As well as learning and writing at Moniack Mhor, participants are also expected to help prepare dinner – during which there was so much laughter that it was a minor miracle that a tasty meal for seventeen was served. A highlight of the weekend was when the skirl of bagpipes announced the arrival of the haggis, which was ceremonially carried to the table, addressed then toasted with a tot of whisky.

Addressing the haggis
Hmm - Cranachan, made using cream with a dash of whisky


NEXT STEPS …


Nathan and Francesca’s generous sharing of their expertise has helped bolster my shaky confidence. It’s now time to put their editing tips into practice.

Our final evening before we take our next steps ...


WHERE IS MY OGRE NOW?


And my ogre of doubt - he opted to stay in the Scottish Highlands. Let’s hope he takes up residence there, leaving me in peace for a while!

An early morning farewell to Moniack Mhor

So how do you control your pesky ogre? I’d love to know …

Happy autumn,

Rae x

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks a wonderful place for inspiration - and for banishing that ogre! Hope he's got the message now and stays away from where he's not wanted. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a place! Shame it's just so far away from where I live. But I was there through your post, Rae - great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. The team at Moniack Mhor work so hard to ensure their guests feel relaxed and are able to focus on writing. Some of the salad veg we ate came from the garden and they have plans to extend what they grow. It's hard to imagine how they might improve upon the experience but the MM team are constantly looking for ways to make a writer's stay even better.

      Delete