Saturday 13 July 2019

Do you ever long to have a new beginning?

This blog sort of follows on from Linda's of the 22nd June where she talked about new things versus old. I make no apologies for this! I was stumped for ideas!

In less than a month I have a new book out 'Villa of Sun and Secrets'. Set in Antibes in the south of France it has a multi generation storyline and is about new beginnings for several of my characters.


July 14th is Bastille Day here in France marking the anniversary of the storming of the infamous Bastille prison in 1789 - a turning point for the success of the French Revolution. Definitely a new beginning there. Three years ago beautiful Nice became a scene of carnage when a terrorist targeted the Promenade des Anglais. For those having to come to terms with loosing loved ones in the attack it was an unwelcome new beginning to their way of life they most certainly did not want.


Emmanuel Macron at the 2018 Bastille Day parade. Photo: AFP

Known in France as La Fȇte Nationale, this year Bastille Day falls on a Sunday which means the traditional weekday national holiday to celebrate all things French is lost. It will be work as usual on Monday - maybe! But it is still a day when the French really go to town celebrating their country. 


There's a big parade in Paris that goes on for hours, with tanks , horses, endless regiments of soldiers, sailors, and displays by motorbike riders, horses, and flyovers by military aircraft. TV coverage starts at seven in the morning with special pre-recorded documentaries about all things military as well as live interviews. In the evening there is an open air concert by the Eiffel Tower which is followed by a spectacular fireworks show. This year too, three years after the tragedy, the fireworks will return to Nice.

My first experience of Bastille day, twenty years ago this year, was in the medieval city of Carcassone down in the Aude department in southern France. And sorry to say it was all a bit of a damp squib - or firework to be precise. We were in the middle of our long cycle ride down south and on July 13th, we found ourselves in Carcassone. After finding the campsite and setting up our tent etc. we walked into the Cité itself to explore. (If you ever get the chance to visit, do go.)


But on this particular day everywhere was a mass of cables, no entry signs, and men busy setting up the fireworks display for the following evening.
Back at the campsite everyone told us that Carcassone hosted the most spectacular firework display outside of Paris.The walls of the Cité are lit up and it becomes the Red Cité. We had to see it. So late the next evening we joined a large crowd to watch and admire the pyrotechnics. We duly oohed and ahhed for roughly five minutes and then everything stopped. Due to a faulty something or other the rest of the display just didn't happen. The photo below from another year shows some of what we should have seen but sadly didn't.


domainedepalatz.com

Bastille Day in 1789 signified a new beginning for the French en masse. But thankfully new beginnings are much tamer affairs normally. 

In 'Villa of Sun and Secrets', Carla gets her welcome new beginning when she inherits a half share in a French villa. But her 73 year old Aunt Josette who owns the other half, is not totally delighted about this because it forces her into making life changing decisions and having a new beginning herself. 

So, what constitutes a good new beginning for you? Moving house? Starting a new job? Getting married? Do you ever long to run away maybe and start over again? Would love to hear from you.

* * *






8 comments:

  1. Hello Jennie and congratulations! The Villa of Sun and Secrets sounds such an uplifting, summer read. The most adventurous new beginning we've had was when my husband and I moved from northern Scotland to work in Edinburgh - new location, new job, new home, new friends. We were young and it was exciting. I'm also feeling my way around a very recent new beginning as our youngest finished school, taking the opportunity to remind me that I am no longer a school mum and I'd have to reinvent myself! A challenge I'm happy to accept as it keeps life interesting. Here's to new beginnings ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rae. You've had a few new beginnings too and now you've got an empty nest - definitely a new challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy for you to continue my theme, Jennie, and didn't you do well - great post! Lots of interesting stuff in there. And the new book is definitely on my reading pile .... :) Oh, and my new beginning? Feeling so much better after being so very poorly for so very bloody long ... determined not to sweat the small stuff any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Linda! I'm so pleased you're feeling so much better and importantly, got your writing mojo back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I'd like to rub myself out and start again without all the angst and insecurity!! But then I wouldn't have the precious family who bring so much joy into my world. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to your new book, Jennie - especially as I love Antibes. I hope it still have that wonderful old bookshop full of the latest titles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by Guernsey Girl. Sadly the bookshop I think you're referring to 'Heidi's English Bookshop' at the bottom end of the market closed a couple of years ago.
    There is a new down near Albert Premier I understand. Lots of building work going on in Antibes too - friends have sent me pictures that make me feel sad! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, and very timely for me as I am writing a book set in France and was thinking about putting a few details about La Fete Nationale into it. Off to order your new novel too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kath. Hope you enjoy it!x

    ReplyDelete