Saturday 27 April 2019

A MATTER OF LIFE AND .............................................................. By Linda Mitchelmore

...... I think you all know what word comes next - yes, the 'd' word. Picture the scene - I was sitting, drinking a lovely glass of chilled Prosecco and chatting to my cousin Barbara who had been asking me about my writing .... what was coming next, plot and so on. We moved on to ALCS (Authors Licensing Collection Service) and PLR (Public Lending Rights) and then onto Royalties. I said they were all nice little earners, to which Barbara responded by saying, 'All very interesting, but what happens to it when you're dead?'
Crikey but that sort of conversation pulls you up short! But what does happen to it? I had no idea back then. However, I'm a member of the Society of Authors and I guessed they might know.
They do as it happens. They produce a most excellent leaflet - free to members, but £20 to anyone else - entitled, GUIDANCE ON YOUR COPYRIGHTS & PAPERS AFTER DEATH. It's rather a stark heading but it does what it says on the tin. After that initial conversation I imagined Royalties might live on to anyone to whom we bequeath them but I had no idea that ALCS and PLR do, but they do as well. The surprise has been that even if a writer isn't a member of the SoA prior to death their estate can apply and be a member with all the same benefits. There are various sections (seven if I remember rightly), all very clearly explained and laid out. WILLS AND POWERS OF ATTORNEYS, WHO INHERITS WHAT ON YOUR DEATH, INHERITANCE TAX are but three. All this has made me pause for thought .... and it dredges up all sorts of uncomfortable feelings and I think it's a travesty that any of us have to hand back the pen, as it were. So, to whom will I leave not only my small - but exquisite to my mind - collection of paintings, and my very, very, small collection of jewellery comprising two rings? In June this year I'll have the copyright of nine novels to pass on. I doubt my grandchildren will reap the benefits that Agatha Christie's grandson did when she left him the rights to the Mousetrap in her will, but mine could still be a nice little earner and buy a decent bottle of Rioja at Christmas.
So .... there we have it - something writers really, really need to think about. And best done with your tipple of choice in hand, and possibly chocolate .....

9 comments:

  1. I am reading this today, Linda, after a vey difficult few days with two deaths in the extended family. So yes, like you, I have been thinking about what comes after and trying to make sure that everything is sorted before it's my turn. I doubt my two novels will earn much for my children, but how lovely to think that they will live on after me. Certainly my love for them, and our grandchildren, will go on forever. You have tackled a difficult subject here but I hope it has made everyone think a bit harder about the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very thoughtful and touching response, Guernsey Girl, thank you very much. And my thoughts with you in your losses.

      Delete
  2. Not an easy topic to think about, Linda but important non-the-less. A post I'll hopefully refer to again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those necessary things like cutting toenails if we are to be comfortable .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I know, I know .... we put these things off and put them off because, well, we're too young to be thinking about these things, aren't we?

      Delete
  5. Great blog, and so worth saying. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh...you are so right. I'd never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wondered about this. Thank you, Linda, for the sound advice.

    ReplyDelete