Saturday 16 March 2019

RETREAT TO ADVANCE – CHOOSING THE RIGHT WRITING GETAWAY

The image of a writer tapping away in a lonely garret is a popular one and although all writers need space and time to create, some also find inspiration by attending a well chosen writing retreat. (I’ll return to the ‘well chosen’ part later.) I definitely fall into the latter camp. So at the beginning of each year, I wave goodbye to my family and spend one wonderful weekend focusing purely on writing.


TIME TO DETOX

This year I indulged in a Writing Detox organised by Chasing Time Retreats - isn’t that the perfect name for a writing getaway? Set in a 1840s Gothic mansion, complete with stunning stained glass window and animal skins pinned to the walls, Rosely Country House Hotel is surrounded by acres of grounds, deep in the Scottish countryside. My favourite cosy neuk was beside the crackling log fire, where we gathered in the evenings, curtains drawn, to share stories.

 
Stained glass window at Rosely Country House Hotel

CHASING TIME TEAM

As well as providing peace and time to write, a tutored retreat also offers the opportunity to connect with other writers. The Chasing Time team, who organise and deliver events, is made up of noir thriller writer Sandra Ireland, author of Beneath the Skin, Bone Deep and The Unmaking of Ellie Rook ; Elizabeth Frattaroli, award winning author of Pathfinder 13; and Dawn Geddes, a freelance journalist whose debut novel The Worry Dolls is currently with the Sophie Hicks Agency. All three did a fantastic job of helping guests relax and to make the most of precious writing time.
 
Getting to know new writing friends...


CHOOSING THE RIGHT RETREAT

I promised to return to the theme of choosing the right writing hideaway. Some retreats are untutored, for authors who require solitude – perhaps to finish a project, or work on a knotty plot problem. For me, the cocoon of my spacious yet cosy bedroom at Rosely House was where words flowed – far more than I’d achieved at other retreats. However, the main reason I chose the Chasing Time option was because Sandra Ireland offered morning workshops – one focusing on hooks and structure, the other on editing – topics I wished to strengthen before embarking on another draft of my women’s emotional fiction novel.

Busy, busy during the editing workshop...

WHAT NEXT?

By the end of a productive weekend, as well as feeling equipped to crack on with my work-in-progress, I also felt inspired to try my hand at penning darker short stories. And what do you know? Chasing Time Retreats are planning a one-day Gothic short story writing workshop in the autumn. Rosely Country House Hotel, with its resident ghost and creepy owl sculpture in the garden, will make the perfect backdrop for imagining some seriously scary tales.
 
Mr Owl... waiting for a story to be written
Happy writing!

Rae x


14 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you, Rae. I went on a Chasing Time retreat a couple of years ago and it turbo-charged my writing. I might join you for the one day retreat at Rosely House in the autumn. Not only is it very atmospheric, but Sandra, Dawn and Elizabeth know how to help us squeeze the last gothic drop out of our writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gothic workshop does sound interesting, Gillian. Hope to see you there! : )

      Delete
  2. That sounds wonderful, Rae - Vikki loved hers and found it so inspiring. I do love the sound of that Gothic workshop as it's something I write now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope we both can attend, Rosemary. It would be fun!

      Delete
  3. Deep envy, Rae. I love writing retreats and find them seriously beneficial. It sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something particularly cosy about going on one at the beginning of the year, when it's dark and miserable outside.

      Delete
  4. Seriously jealous here Rae. Rosily sounds wonderful. I've never been on a writing retreat and long to go on one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you tick it off your bucket list one day soon, Jennie. I believe there are lots of gorgeous places that offer them in France too...

      Delete
  5. Ooh I fancy a retreat in Scotland! I've been on conferences and also private retreats with a few friends but never an organised one. Must rectify that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you do retreat in Scotland, Kath please let me know. I'll come join you! : )

      Delete
  6. I love writing retreats! What a perfect weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many retreats on the east of Scotland, which makes Rosely Country House Hotel even more special. : )

      Delete
  7. I've never been on a writing retreat, so its always interesting to hear about other people's experiences on them.

    ReplyDelete