Saturday 28 July 2018

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS ... IT'S GOING TO BE A BUMPY RIDE by Victoria Cornwall


Who could forget this scene from All About Eve, when Margo, played by Bette Davis, delivered this stark warning that the evening was not going to be a calm one. Strangely, I always remembered it to be a "bumpy ride" which is why I searched it out for this blog post. The warning, "Fasten your seat belts - it's going to be a bumpy ride" would have been very appropriate if she was addressing a roomful of people about to embark on a writing career.


The career path of a writer is extremely bumpy, with extraordinary highs, gut wrenching lows and somewhere between a mixed bag of drudgery, waiting, hard work, new experiences and .... more hard work. Why? Doesn't a writer just sit at a desk and write all day? If only, I hear my fellow writers say under their breath.

I will try to explain why a career in writing is so bumpy by starting at the birth of a novel. With each phase, I have added the first three words that immediately spring to mind. I hasten to add that all writers experience the different stages differently, so much of what follows is heavily influenced by my own experience.

The idea for a plot.
Excited. Enthusiastic. Creative
This is what being a writer is all about. The book is desperate to get on the page and it has chosen me to bring it into the big wide world. Ideas are flowing thick and fast.
***
Starting to write
Resolute. Adventurous. Driven
This is going to be the best book yet! The best seller label is going to be mine!
***
Half way through a book
Unmotivated. Uncertain. Bored.
This is the worst book ever. Why did I think this plot would work? Was I drunk at the time?
***
Finishing the novel
Relieved. Satisfied. Excited
At last! Writing THE END, taking a photo of the two words and sending the image to all my friends and fellow writers is a must!
***
Self-editing phase
Ambivalent. Excited. Depressed.
This doesn't even make sense and this chapter has to go. Hold on ... this chapter is quite good! Heart starts to race. Maybe ... just maybe ... this book is not so bad after all.
***
Submission to agents and publishers
Anxious. Frustrated. Impatient.
Frantic internet search on how to write a synopsis and an accompanying letter that will not get deleted or thrown in the bin. Click the send button. Spend the next week worrying that I did it wrong.
 A week later, with no acknowledgement, I am convinced I have.
Weeks go by and the dilemma of whether to follow it up raises its ugly head.
Family and friends are showing signs of boredom when I ask, for the umpteenth time, their opinion on what I should do.
***
Rejection by agents and publishers
Depressed. Worthless. Angry
They hate my writing. They hate my genre. They hate my hair colour and me as a person.
The publishing world is conspiring against me. Bet they didn't even read it.
***
Acceptance!
Confident. Ecstatic. Bewildered
This agent/publisher is my kindred spirit. They "get me". I am on my way at last.
***
Preparing book for publication
Focused. Exhausted. Isolated.
Working with a professional editor makes me realise this writing lark is a serious business.
This is where they will discover I am a fraud and not a proper writer with an office.
Must concentrate and be businesslike.
***
Publication day
Excited. Anxious. Dazed
Oh my! I have made it. I am a published author! It doesn't seem real ... as I don't feel any different inside. No magical glow is radiating from me and I still have to get the dinner in the oven.
***
Reviews
Thrilled. Gutted. Humbled.
People I don't know are reading my book and telling me what they think!
Note to self ... grow a thicker skin and wear weighted shoes.
The former will protect me from harsh reviews, the latter will keep me grounded and stop the good reviews going to my head.
***
Promotion
Overwhelmed. Inadequate. Motivated
Learning about plugins/widgets and the alternative universe of social media.
Learning how to be a successful presenter, guest speaker and a charming interviewee.
Valuable experience gained from a frantic search on the internet on "How to ...".
***
Sales
Apprehensive. Thrilled. Downhearted
Now I am a writer, I get to see behind the curtain of the mystical publishing world.
I still don't understand why some books "take off" and become best sellers, whilst others (which are equally good, if not better) don't. However, I do now know I am not alone in my ignorance.
 
***
And now what?
Can I write a second book? Will it be as good as my first? Is it all worth it?
Shall I take up hand-gliding instead?
***
The idea for a plot.
Excited. Enthusiastic. Creative
Phew! I can do this! Lets go ...
***
And so it begins all over again ...

An experienced writer will be going through several of these phases at the same time, i.e. writing book 3, whilst preparing book 2 for publication and promoting book 1, which can result in a cacophony of emotions all in one day. Understanding friends and family are so important as after a long day they bear the brunt of the ups and downs. If it has been a good day, they celebrate with us, if it has been a bad day ... they might just think about running for cover. Perhaps Margo's quote, in All About Eve, was the right one to use after all ...
By

To find out more about Victoria's books, click HERE.







9 comments:

  1. Oh, yes! I so relate to this! I am at the 'God, but this is as bland as wallpaper paste' stage at the moment. But as my dear old dad used to say, 'This, too, will pass.' Flipping hope so! Great post. Love the graphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I think it's amazing we stay sane after all the ups and downs of giving birth to a book.

      Delete
    2. And by far the worst down is when technology goes wrong and you think you've lost everything .... shiver, shiver.

      Delete
  2. Loved the honesty of this post, Victoria. I'm still at the beginning of this mad process but have already experienced some of the extreme highs and lows. All the more reason it's healthy for writers to stay connected with wonderful, understanding writing friends. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad process does sum it all up well, Rae. ;)

      Delete
    2. And don't forget, Rae, that along the way you will meet many amazing people who will be with you on the journey.

      Delete
  3. Hi Vickie
    I understand when you say, "I hate my hair colour and me as a person." It's so easy for us to take rejection and negative reviews personally, isn't it? It's just one person's opinion and nothing against us as a person, but at the time ...

    Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it over breakfast.

    Ange xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to take rejection etc to heart, but as you said, it is just one person's opinion. The world would be boring if everyone was the same. :)

      Delete