Saturday 16 December 2017

WRITING BY CANDLELIGHT...

Authors who light candles to spark story ideas …



 

By the time this post goes live we’ll be well through Advent, a time for lighting candles and banishing darkness, when here in northern Scotland we draw closer to the shortest day of the year. My energy levels head south with the sunshine and so I like to use candles to brighten both my workspace and mood. Yankee Candle’s Red Apple Wreath is my personal festive favourite. And this got me thinking about candles, and specifically scented ones, and how authors use them to inspire their writing.

Oops!

JK Rowling

Only recently J K Rowling shared on Twitter that whilst writing a particular macabre scene for her Cormorant Strike detective novel series that a candle exploded, making it difficult for her adrenaline levels to return to normal.  Here’s a photograph of that particular Jo Loves ‘Christmas Trees’ pine-scented candle – post explosion. Joanne assured her followers that this was nothing to do with the quality of the candle but rather that she’d allowed it to burn to the bottom of the glass.
Sounds as though it was working it’s magic, transporting her to her happy writing place.



Cecelia Ahern's - The Gift

Cecelia Ahern

Another author who is a huge fan of Jo Malone candles is Irish, best selling novelist, Cecelia Ahern, who, whilst promoting the re-release of her festive novel The Gift, during a Harper Collins Facebook Live chat, shared that she is very disciplined when writing and always lights a candle, which is always from Jo Malone. Her particular favourite is Lime, Basil and Mandarin (a fantastic Christmas gift idea for that writer in your life!) Cecelia met Jo Malone for the first time earlier this year and had a real fan-girl moment, telling Jo how amazing she thought she was. Jo Malone then explained how candles and scent act as a trigger, which sets her in the zone and mood to create.  To hear Cecelia’s full Facebook Live chat listen here

Many novelists I admire light candles as part of their daily writing routine and three were kind enough to share why they find candles so inspiring.

Maggie Craig's - Gathering Storm

Maggie Craig

First up is acclaimed Scottish historical fiction writer, Maggie Craig, who said 'I enjoy lighting scented candles but use them more as a votive offering. I particularly like to have a candle lit by my computer on dreich (the Scottish word for dreary or bleak) days.' And we’ve plenty of those in Scotland. I hope Maggie has a large supply of candles at the ready! She continued, 'I like to include scent in my writing and at the beginning of my most recent novel, Gathering Storm, a tale of Jacobite intrigue and romance, refer to the smell of newly snuffed-out candles'. – Powerful writing, Maggie.

Phoebe Morgan
Phoebe Morgan's - The Doll House

Meanwhile, psychological thriller writer, Phoebe Morgan, who’s debut, The Doll House, was published earlier this year, said, 'I will almost always light a candle or two if I’m writing at home. There’s something about it that I find really calming – and when I get stuck on a plot problem I can stare at the flame a bit and allow myself to be mesmerised! It really helps my creativity – I’ve always loved the smell and look of nice candles so they’re definitely on my Christmas list this year!'




Amanda Prowse's - The Art of Hiding

Amanda Prowse


A beautiful candle lantern even takes pride of place on the cover of bestselling women’s fiction author, Amanda Prowse’s latest novel The Art of Hiding. Isn’t it gorgeous?

When I contacted Amanda asking what candles mean to her, this is what she said.

'I too write with a scented candle burning always – it makes me feel calm and centred and find the naked flame so thought provoking. Thank you for the lovely words about the cover. I wanted to convey the idea of new life and remembrance, but also the fact that the main protagonist, Nina, is living in poverty –and I figured that a candle in a jar was evocative of hardship in times gone by.'


Candles Inspired by Books and Writers

Lots of authors use candles to encourage their muse to come and play, but if you still need persuasion to treat yourself to some candle time, then why not check out this post over on the EBook Friendly website - 15 scented candles inspired by books and writers.

There you’ll find links to candles with such fabulous names as Second Star to the Right, inspired by JM Barrie’s Peter Pan; 221B Baker Street inspired by Sherlock Holmes; Gatsby’s Mansion, reminiscent of a night spent ocean-side; and The Shire, inspired by JRR Tolkien’s Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, which smells of fresh grass, clover, pipe tobacco and bergamot. There are plenty more, making this a fun site definitely worth exploring.

Phoebe's fantastic debut thriller - perfect to read
by candlelight

How do you use candles?

For decoration, to relax, whilst reading, or like the authors who kindly offered us a peek into their writing rituals - to help you drift calmly to your happy creative place?

So why not light a candle and see where the mood takes you? If you’re an author, it may even inspire your next bestseller.

Happy Advent!


Rae
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

14 comments:

  1. I'm a real fan of candles but refuse to buy them for myself so am reliant on presents - Christmas is a great time! I got a lovely warm feeling just reading this blog, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gill. I hope your stocking is brim full of lovely scented candles on Christmas morning. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crikey, this is something I've never even thought about, never mind thought I might do. But it has got me thinking ..... were I to splash it about that I simply cannot write without a Jo Malone candle burning beside me, might I get a constant supply? - you know, the way actresses get to wear jewels to or dresses to give a plug to the manufacturer? Might be worth a try! All that said, I am not a candle fan .... too afraid of fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Linda, always best to stay safe and keep within sight of a lighted candle.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post. I have never used candles to help create the right atmosphere for writing, in fact I don't often use them at all. I think it is because, as a child, I had it drummed into me not to play with fire, particularly when we were forced to use them during the miner's strike when electric was rationed and turned off several times a week! However nowadays, at Christmas or during those romantic moments in one's life, they are brought out of the cupboard and lit and the experience is all the more special because they are so rarely used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember using them during that strike too, Victoria. I didn't use candles much up until a couple of years ago, and now I love to use them during wintertime. It's so dark here in northern Scotland at this time of year and a winking candle just helps lift the gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, Rae. I don't use candles except in the dining-room, but I love them there for added atmosphere. I do include them in my historicals, of course. A friend once pointed out how dark the eighteenth and nineteenth century houses must have been. that does give one pause for thought when trying to go downstairs in the dark. Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Anne. You make a great point. Candles are wonderful for adding atmosphere but I wouldn't wish to solely rely on them. How did ladies manage to read and do fine needlework in the gloom? They must've had better eyesight than me!

      Delete
  7. I always have candles going as I hand write my first draft. Any fat candles will do, lightly scented is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Noelene, thanks so much for reading and sharing. I love the image you paint of writing with a fat candle burning - sounds purposeful, ready to get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice article. thanks for sharing it.
    https://www.sprycandles.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post Rae, thank you. I love a scented candle, never thought of using them when writing, I'll definitely try it. Sareen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and sharing, Sareen. Hope lighting a scented candle helps those creative juices flow 😘

      Delete