Saturday 8 July 2017

It's that time of year again

The summer weather has finally arrived in fits and starts this year on the East coast although as I write this there have been some heavy showers of rain today. But the weather can't dampen my excitement  as I have only a week left to work before my holidays. 

The beautiful North West coast of Scotland where the days gone on forever (when the sun is shining). 

Split Rock at Sunset 
Although I have only been visiting the area for 4 years or so it is an area that captures your heart and draws you back.
Audrey doesn't like to admit how long she has been visiting the area but her girls have been going up there since they were babies. They adore their summer holidays of freedom and fun with friends old and new.

Stoer Beach
This beautiful area is currently on the North Coast 500, Scotland's answer to Route 66. People will complete the route in 3 days but I feel they are missing out on the hidden treasures, only catching the highlights of the scenery. Regardless of the increase in tourists which is only a positive, you still feel that you could be the only person in the world. 
Looking over Fishermans Bay to Split Rock
 
Two of these photos have been borrowed from Audrey's phone because on occasion I have been known to focus to much on the perfect lighting , composition of a photo and sometimes it can be liberating to just point and shoot. 
So although I will be chasing the light and no doubt setting my alarm for a ridiculous hour, I plan to also be more present in the holiday and take photos that capture the moment as what is a photo if not a memory frozen in time.

10 comments:

  1. I love the north west! Spent one unforgettable holiday there and now you've made me want to go again. Amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it and should explore more than I do but will have time for that once the kids are grown up.

      Delete
    2. I love it and should explore more than I do but will have time for that once the kids are grown up.

      Delete
  2. One of the prettiest places in the world, Neil. Looking forward to seeing those new photographs. Have fun with the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rae can't wait to get up and hopefully the weather will hold.

      Delete
  3. I hope you have a lovely holiday. I would love to know what photographers mean when they say "chasing the light". Also, is it true that light is softer in the early hours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria there are golden hours just before sunrise and sunset when the light is perfect, depending on the weather.

      Delete
  4. Your photos give me wanderlust! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, will hopefully get a few new ones this holiday.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Linda, will hopefully get a few new ones this holiday.

      Delete