Saturday 18 March 2017

Great Minds Think Alike....




Great minds think alike this week, following on from Jennifer's Social Butterfly post, I come to add my experience of social media.
I started off many moons ago on Twitter, followed by Instagram and then more recently Facebook. I like to take the time to interact with my follower's by commenting back and engaging in conversation. However the more you post on different platforms the more time consuming it becomes and with a young family it's certainly a juggling act.


I try to limit my time and only go on once or twice a day but this never works as the lure of the Fb ping or the vibration of another notification is too hard to resist.
So for me I have decided to only post to my accounts/pages,  I no longer share my work with other groups as it then becomes a 24hr job replying to the comments. This may seem odd or foolish as one of the great aspects of social media is that it gets your work seen and out there and if asked by a particular page to post or share I will, but it's not the norm for me any more.
Fortunately I have great followers that will share my work and the majority ask if they can post it or share it which is great.
One of the upsides of social media for me is that I quite often receive messages asking about equipment, techniques and tips from people just starting their photography journey and I am always honest with them and will refer them on if I don't have the expertise. This is what is great about social media the contact with your audience.
So if you find yourself on an creative persons page leave a comment, send a message, we love to hear from you.
And to temp you across, here's one of my recent posts to my Facebook page.

Loch Morlich earlier this year.



8 comments:

  1. It's a constant juggling act, Neil. You do a fantastic job of replying to every comment - especially given the photographs you post are so hugely popular. Your image of Loch Morlich is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rae. It is a juggling act and hats off to everyone that posts to multiple platforms and pages.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Neil. I am on a steep learning curve with it all, so welcome any advice or experience that is shared regarding what works for some and what works for others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, I used to spread myself thin so decided to concentrate on my Fb page but I am not the best with technology. It's a lot of trial and error.

      Delete
  3. You're a great example, Neil. I know I don't comment enough, even when I really like something. Must try harder! As ever, your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian. It's finding the balance and what works for you.

      Delete
  4. Great post Neil. It is all about balance isn't it? And losing the built in reluctance to 'blow one's own trumpet'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer you do have to leave that behind and trumpethan away.

      Delete