Monday 5 February 2018

WRITING .... WHEN LIFE GETS IN THE WAY LINDA MITCHELMORE

Now then, I rarely post personal stuff in the ether ..... certainly not on Facebook or Twitter unless it's to urge people to buy my books or the magazines in which I have stories. But this blog is, I think, different - albeit in the ether as the others. Writers can't just stop being writers because life gets in the way of things like deadlines and ideas that strike in the middle of the night. But the thing is, my husband hasn't been well for some time and just before Christmas he took an alarming turn for the worse. He was unable to eat, suffered massive weight loss, and everything that goes with those things took an alarming toll on him. A visit to our GP saw him whisked to hospital, but he was too weak to undergo an operation so he was drip-fed antibiotics and tube fed nourishing things until he built up strength which, mercifully he did, and was able to have the operation he needed.
Now then, in the middle of all this worry, and twice-daily drives to the hospital and back, and hours by his bedside, my copy edits arrived from my new publisher. To mention all the above or not? I decided not. I devised a plan. I would get up uber-early (who can sleep soundly with a poorly loved one in hospital anyway?)and do the edits then. I had a week in which to do them. I did. Just. And then said publisher asked for a synopsis for my next novel, also in a week. I said that would be a push and could I have a bit longer .... I could. Phew! And then a magazine editor wanted some tweaks to a quite long short story .... contradiction in terms but writers will see that as a normal statement. Could she have it back in 48 hours .... she could and she did. Phew!
And then there was the thorny question of whether or not to take our grandchildren in to see their granddad. They spend a lot of time with us and were missing him and asking for him. Would they be upset by drips and machines buzzing at random intervals and granddad not being able to play hide and seek with them? In the event they seemed to be far more interested in the control panel at the end of granddad's bed that raised and lowered the head rest and various other things than they were in the poor old boy in it. And the free hot chocolate in the day room was pronounced far superior to anything they'd ever had in a cafe anywhere although six-year-old Emily grumbled about the lack of mini-marshmallows!
And talking of hot drinks .... a young Polish man - a patient in the bed opposite my husband's - was going into the day room to get himself a drink and stopped to ask me if he could get me tea, or coffee, or hot chocolate. And that's when another short story idea came to me. Right there in the most inappropriate of places and I did get a pang of guilt, but it's what writers do - we can't help it. I'm sure other writers will understand. P.S. My husband is now home, I'm pleased to be able to say.

14 comments:

  1. So glad your husband's health has improved, Linda. I think the fact you managed to complete requests from not one but a number of editors, during such a difficult time, tells us just how professional an author you are. (But we knew that already. : ) ) Well done, and I hope you now find some time to take care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as saintly as it might seem, Rae ..... it can be a sort of diversion, stopping me thinking of the bad stuff ... a bit of an escape. Sometimes I wonder how people who aren't writers manage in these circumstances. As my copy edit has now been deemed perfect I think I might allow a little glass of something in celebration!

      Delete
    2. I see exactly what you mean and have used writing myself to 'rescue' me at certain points. Pleased to hear your husband is now at home and recovered.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for popping by, Angela ...... yes, writing, another form of rescue remedy!

      Delete
  2. I see triumph in this story for you and your husband, Linda - what a team! Reading it now you must wonder how you managed at all. Let's hope you have a holiday on the horizon or maybe a week at a luxury spa. Here's to your continued writing success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Guernsey Girl, it does seem as though I've imagined it all, but I do suffer from not wanting to let anyone down ..... to which end, I am DEFINITELY going over to Brittany when the weather warms up for a little bit of R & R and some writerly natter!

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear that your hubby is on the mend now, Linda. I am impressed that you managed to carry on under such difficult circumstances. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria. I was on my own here so no one to take overso it was a case of keeping head above water!

      Delete
  4. Huge hugs to you Linda and kudos for getting through it all. I am very impressed! And so glad dh is on the mend now. Worrying times, but occasionally being able to escape into our imaginary worlds is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gill, the escape is a blessing .... you've hit the nail on the head!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad your husband is on the mend; and well done for keeping everything going through all that drama. It's funny how we self-employed folk never take time off, no matter what life throws at us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lindy Lou! Such a time you've had! Sorry to hear about your poorly husband but delighted he's now home. Of course you managed, you are a professional! Also a star in my book, but you know that! Sending lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for popping by, Julia .... and you are so right about self-employed people soldiering on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I can see what you mean about the distraction and glad hubbie on the mend, but hope you are looking after yourself too! 💐💐💐

    ReplyDelete