Saturday 9 December 2017

BEHIND THE SCENES OF A RADIO INTERVIEW by Victoria Cornwall


This week I was on the radio. I was invited to read something festive in the lead-up to Christmas and I was delighted to do it despite it being a departure from my previous guest slots. I had a great time. If you would like to listen to it, the "play on demand" link will be valid until 4th January, 2018. Please click HERE to listen and my guest slot starts at 1:38:00. It might get you in the mood for Christmas if you are not already!

I love listening to the radio. It has introduced me to new music, reminded me of old tunes and entertained me with debates on interesting topics. It keeps me up to date with the news and there is an established routine to each program which provides a strange comfort of its own. I guess, at its heart, it feels as if the presenter(s) are my friends and have just popped in for a chat, but with the advantage that I can get rid of them with the flick of the button if I want the visit to end.

Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think I would become a radio guest myself. However, the radio is a fantastic opportunity to spread the word about one's book and if a guest slot arises it is a too good an opportunity to refuse. To date I have been on the local radio four times (BBC Radio Cornwall and CoastFM), so although I am not as experienced as some authors, I am more experienced than others, so in this post I am going to share what I have learned, whilst also lifting the curtain on what happens behind the scenes.

Although radio shows may contact well known authors with a view to arranging for them to be on their show, generally, it is the author (or their publisher) who has to secure a slot. Local radio is more accepting to enquires from less well-known authors, but it is still important to present yourself in the right way to increase the chances of being accepted.


It is not about what you want from them, but rather what they need from you.

Radio has a role of providing entertainment and factual information. You, as their guest, are going to help them provide that and you need to convince the radio how you are going to do that. So what will help you to stand out from all the other authors who would like to promote their book on their show? What is your unique selling point? So before contacting your local radio station ask yourself some questions. How can I make my book an interesting topic for their show? Is it based locally? Are you from the area? Is it based or inspired by a particular setting? Is the plot on a subject that is relevant today or topical in the news? Is there a moral or inspirational story to your writing or your ability to write? Once you have decided how you are going to sell yourself and why they should choose you, then you can move onto the next step.


Not all shows are the same.

Get to know your local radio programs. Some presenters enjoy interviewing authors, others prefer a different format. Check out which ones will be more accepting to your request to be a guest and remember, word of mouth is particularly good for finding the right radio show to contact. Approaching the right show saves a lot of time and reduces the risk of rejection. Once you have decided, contact the show by email. Each local radio show will have a website page with an email address.

The presenter, or their PA, will reply and offer you an interview at the studio or by telephone. Interviews performed in the studio are clearer and less likely to be interrupted by rambling pets or children, however telephone interviews are less intimidating as you are in your own home. I was given the choice and chose to go into the studio.

Be prepared

The aim is to make the interview appear relaxed and part of a normal conversation, however it is always wise to be prepared. There is nothing worse than being asked about your book and your mind going blank. I have found taking one A4 size sheet of notes in with me very helpful. Having it on one page means there is no risk of the microphone picking up shuffling sounds as I turn my cue cards.

At the top I have 4 or 5 bullet points which state the information I want to get across in the interview. They are normally:-

1) My name
2) The Title of the book
3)  The format it is published in
4) Where they can buy it
5) Name of publisher

I once listened to an interview where the author and radio presenter forgot to mention the name of her book. It is easily done as conversation can get sidetracked, or the right question isn't asked so it is a case of slotting it in when you can.

These are the other things I have down:-

A) Short author bio (just in case my mind goes blank)
B) My novel summed up in one or two sentences (just in case they ask for a brief summary)
C) A longer description of the story (not giving anything away) I always put the main characters' names down too. It is surprising how easy it is to forget them, especially if you are in the midst of editing the second book and have just taken a break from writing the third, which is often the case when you are a writer.
D) Interesting/relevant information that might interest the listeners, such as the location where it is based etc.

The above information is best written briefly with key words to act as a trigger. It is not meant to be read as it will come across as if you are reading a script ... unless you are good at doing it,of course. On one occasion I made the mistake of laminating my notes, but during the interview I realised that the studio lights were shining down on it and obliterating my words. I ended up sitting rather awkwardly so I could see it. Did I really need the A4 notes? By then, probably not, but it helped my confidence and I was able to relax inwardly ... even if I didn't look like I was relaxed on the outside.

I write historical fiction so, if I have room, I add a few historical notes which might be of interest to the listener.


Promote the interview before and after the event

The reason you are doing the interview is for the exposure. Lengthen the window of exposure by promoting the interview before and afterwards. This takes courage as there is always the fear that it will be a disaster and you will want to bury it and never speak of it again. However writing is about taking risks and this is just another one of those risks.


Arrive in plenty of time

You are usually given a specific time slot. Arrive at the radio station in plenty of time. This will show professionalism and allows for car and traffic problems. You want this to be the first of many interviews in your writing career so this interview is as much about networking and firming up contacts as it is for the interview itself. You are more likely to be asked back by the radio station if you are reliable.

All my interviews were live so I did not meet the radio presenters until I sat down in front of them a minute or two before the interviews. This is not unusual as they are usually in the middle of presenting their program when you arrive. The staff of the radio station are usually very friendly as they are used to welcoming new guests on a daily basis. In my case I was shown to a lounge/office where I waited until I was called. It's a good opportunity to read through your notes and get your mind focused. Then the moment comes and someone shows you into the radio booth. This usually happens during the adverts or a song. You are told where to sit and the microphone is positioned in front of you. The presenter will say hello, a brief chat and then you are live! If your interview is recorded the format will be slightly different and your interview may be edited shorter.


An interview is like a tennis match ...

In my opinion, no matter what the first interview or question, it is always important to say hello to the presenter and thank them for having you on the show. It's professional, polite and sets the tone of the interview. It tells the listener that you are happy to be there and spend time with them and that makes everyone feel good.

To make a good interview both the presenter and guest have to play ball. You can be an amazing presenter, but if the guest provides only one-worded answers, or sounds miserable and defensive, it will result in an agonisingly long and painful interview to listen to. Answer the questions, but perhaps provide a little more than they asked. It helps the presenter to lead onto another question, move the conversation forward and provides a more relaxed interview. However you also have to be mindful of not talking too much. Nerves can make you do and say all sorts of things you had not planned for. Be aware you have not launched into a monologue that is not only boring the interviewer, but boring the listeners too. Also be aware you do not give away too much. Your child may not want you to disclose that they wet the bed last night. You chose to go on the radio, they did not and school friends can be cruel. Your words may have repercussions so tread carefully.


Things will go wrong

Accept the above and attempt to find a way out. You can prepare for the interview and try to guess the questions, but in the end you have no control over what is asked. All you can do is try your best. If the question confuses you, take a breath and clarify the question before answering. If you don't know the answer you have two options, simply say you don't know or you provide the little information you do know but then steer it onto the topic you know in more depth. Presenters are very skilled at bringing the best out of you. They know why you are there and they are happy for you to promote your book. They are also keen for the interview to go well, so they do not intentionally try to make the interview difficult and will often step in if they feel you are floundering.


All good things come to an end

The length of the slot can vary. I have done 10 minute slots and on one radio the slot turned into 30 minutes. It depends on the show and the presenter. Eventually it will come to an end and it is important to say goodbye and thank the presenter again for having you on the show. It leaves the listener and presenter with a good impression, and it is only fitting to thank them publicly (rather than just privately off air as you are hurried out of the room).

So if you get a chance to be on the radio, do try it. If things go well you will have a great time and experience a new form of media ... if it goes badly it will provide you with a humorous anecdote to share with friends over a glass of wine. So its a win win situation ... if you are brave enough to give it a try.
Author of



8 comments:

  1. Interesting and informative Victoria - but it still makes me nervous just reading about being on live radio! Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difficult one is when they suddenly get in touch and ask if you'll come on NOW! Happened to me a few weeks ago. The particularly presenter has interviewed me several times over the years, and I'd tweeted him about an item on his show, so his producer got in touch straight away. So no time to prepare, not about my books and I did flounder a bit, but Pat knows me by now and we giggled our way through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hasn't happened to me yet, Lesley, and well done for accepting the challenge. Being asked to come on the radio at such short notice must mean they feel they can rely on you and that you are good at what you do, which is a huge compliment!

      Delete
  3. Well done, Victoria in stepping up to the challenge. It's not easy to stay calm in such a situation. I can quite easily imagine why it would be useful to have a card with details of your name and title of the novel you're promoting! Thanks for sharing such a fab set of top tips. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rae. I still have a lot to learn but am happy to share my own experiences. :)

      Delete
  4. I've only ever been on radio twice and I winged it both times ..... seat of the pants stuff. In one I was suddenly thrust a copy of a Jan Stewer (written by A J Coles) book and asked to read two pages in Devonshire dialect - quite a challenge. Apparently that radio station had followers in the US and I often wonder what they made of Deb'n! Great post, Victoria .... all hats off to your prep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to prepare, but sometimes things take a different turn. Asked to read something in a Devonshire accent would certainly throw me!

      Delete